This Disappears When Logged In

Pic's Soon! New Florida King Snake! I Am So Excited!!!

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by nikkistorms, Aug 25, 2012.

1. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Got a new Florida King Snake today... yeah yeah yeah I know... I have too many animals! lol It's name is Bumble bee. He ate just before I bought him so I haven't had a chance to take many pics. I will uploaded one as soon as he digests and comes out of his hide.

2. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

IMG_8532.jpg
    Bumble Bee

3. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

He is gorgeous! Congratulations :)

4. ZooLew

ZooLew Member

Nice.

5. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I am hoping Jlassiter(spl) will chime in and see if he can tell me what morph he is! Is there any way to sex them except by vet??

6. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Beautiful! Congrats!

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sure he will :)

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Best way to sex him now will be to pop him, BUT don't do it your self look for a breeder in your area and ask if they can pop him for you. Popping is not 100% right. Unless your going to breed him it doesnt matter what sex you have :) He/she wont mind if you call them the wrong sex :)

9. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

It is a normal phenotype L. g. floridana.

If you could get me a picture of the underside of the tail and a side profile of the tail I could give you a 90% determination of gender.
    But the sure way to check for gender is probing. Popping will tell you the definite males, but some "females" turn out to be males because they did not "pop."

Probing is 99% acurate.
    I probed a king once and thought for sure it was a female...It probed only 3 scales deep.
    It ended up being a male.....not well endowed, I guess.....LOL

10. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

11. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

12. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

the only reason I want to have it sexed is so If I buy another one I will kno if they will be ok in the same tank.

13. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

NEVER house snakes together. especially cannibal kings.

that said, love the snake! beautiful couloring! :D

14. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

That pattern is breathe taking! I'm jealous, wish I could get a Florida King.

15. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Finally found a caresheet! And yes, I will NOT house him/her with another snake! LOL. thanks!!!

16. Tymonster

Tymonster Active Member

Gorgeous snake! I love these guys, have one myself. So pretty as youngins with all the orange and black. You'll notice as it grows it will start to lose that and they really start filling in with more yellow between the stripes. Cool to watch the transition in my opinion:)

17. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

I am 99.99% sure it is a female.....

18. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

AWE! How can you tell??

19. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Female kingsnakes have a shorter, less tapered tail.
    It starts tapering right at the vent.

Males have longer tails that is the same thickness as the area near the vent for a few ventral scales then it tapers gradually.....

In a lateral view you can see that the underside of a female's tail also tapers upwards towards the dorsum just after the vent.....males do not.

20. Tymonster

Tymonster Active Member

*edit* you beat me too it..another post while i was typing this up haha :)

You sound quite sure :D Can you explain how you visually determine this? I'm very curious. I've heard with most colubrids you can tell by basically how long or short the "tail" is from where it tapers off? I just have nothing to compare it to since I only have one king. I may have to send you a pic of my brooks too lol

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012