This Disappears When Logged In

Pic's of Romeo

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by Blood_Romeo, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blood_Romeo

Blood_Romeo Active Member

[​IMG]
    He just finished eating a huge F/T rat when i took this picture last night

[​IMG]
    I took this one a couple hours ago

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

He's a pretty one :) I've been wondering where the name blood python comes from though. He doesn't look very red. I don't know much about these snakes at all.

3. Rob Olivier

Rob Olivier Member

Nice Blood!

@ furryscaly: This is still a rather young blood. Bloods change color when they mature (between 1.5 to 3 years). They can turn red, orange, yellow or brown.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

Very pretty.

5. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Nice Blood, Romeo.

As Rob has said they don't get their adult colour untill abou 2 years of age and even then not all Blood pythons (brongersmai) or Malaysian Blood python can range from a light tan and yellow to a deep oxbow red and yellow and are given their name from the blood colouration.

Borneo Short tailed pythons (breitensteini) are sometimes called Borneo Blood pythons, which can lead to some confusion as they are not Blood pythons. The other sub spiecies of Short tailed pythons, like the black blood are again given the name blood when it should be Short tailed.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse further.

Joe

6. Blood_Romeo

I think Romeo is a Sumatran..that was what the tag said when I bought him. But then again, pet stores can be wrong too.

Is there anyway to be sure?

7. Joe

Joe Elite Member

Hi, yes there is a way to distinguish, if you look under the eye if there is an extra scale between the row of scales that form the upper lip, hope that makes sense??, and the eye then you have yourself a Bourneo, if the eye touches the row of scales and there is no extra scale then you have yourself a Malaysian Blood Python aka Sumartran Short Tailed Python.

From your pics I would say that Romeo is deffinatly a Malaysain blood.

Hope this helps

8. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Nice pics, how old is Romeo? He looks a little younger than our girl,. shame you live so far away, would be great to breed them in a couple of years :p

Just one word of caution - in the first pic you said he'd just eaten,. you don't feed him on the substrate do you?, as this runs the high risk of swallowing a piece and becoming impacted.

9. Blood_Romeo

actually i fed him on my desk :D. i fed my last snake on substrate and only one wood chip went in his mouth...but i was watching so i opened his mouth and pulled the chip out. that was the last time i fed on substrate.

10. Amelia

Amelia Elite Member

Nice looking little blood, hope his coloring turns out nice for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.