This Disappears When Logged In

Pics of my sulcata tortoise

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by replover, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. replover

replover Elite Member

Here are some pics of my sulcata tortoise, named "Mantow".
    He's apparently stopped overturning himself now that I put the slidy tape over the walls, which might as well be since no one responded to my previous post...

Anyway here are the pics. And before everyone starts yelling at me, no, I am not feeding him vegetable produce as his main diet! The photo shows big leaves, not blades of grass, but that is NOT all veggies! The the left is "che chin cho", a weed that grows here in Asia. To the bottom left (and off screen for the two closer pics) are "Fan Su Yip". Both are recommended tortoise foods here in Hong Kong due to their low protein, high fiber content. I had to go search for them for like a week before I found any. To the right side is Chinese flowering cabbage, which is a vegetable but only consists of about 15 - 25 % of his diet. I will start growing some bermuda grass in my balcony this weekend. I've tried feeding dry timothy hay too but while he is willing to eat it, he can't yet bite through it yet nor find it easy to swallow it so I will wait till he is older before feeding more dry hay. Meanwhile I have 3 huge bags of hay in my house!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I know nothing about Turtles and Tortoises so I won't be yelling. lol I just wanted to see the pictures. :D (Which look great. lol)

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Awww, hes so cute...Congrats on the new addition...

4. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

he's adorable. :)

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

What a cutie.

6. Manhirwen

Manhirwen Elite Member

He's adorable! Congrats!

7. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

So tiny....

8. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Maybe try crushing the timothy hay into a power or smaller bits with a mortar and pestal (one of those marble things to crush herbs or pills) and sprinkle it on his greens.

He really is a cutie! It won't be long before he's HUGE!!! Enjoy him now! LOL :)

9. replover

replover Elite Member

Thanks.

Well I hope he won't be huge too fast because from what I know too fast growth would lead to deformities and pyramiding in the shell. I have a room set aside for when he gets big but I do worry how to keep human hair off of the floor because I would obviously have to walk in to clean, feed etc. I do that for my iguana cage too but that is newspapers and easy to see any hair. I plan to use a layer of topsoil with sand mix and hay on top for substrate for the sulcata and I am sure the hair would be hard to locate?

10. replover

replover Elite Member

Ok who am I kidding I want him to grow big fast... LOL! But I won't let it as I don't want any health consequences from too fast growth.

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

LOL... I agree. Do remember that diet and improper UVB also contributes to pyramiding.

12. replover

replover Elite Member

Well from what I understand it is diet and no UVB and such factors that LEAD to unhealthy growth and thus pyramiding? I have those two factors taken care of. I am a little confused about humidity though. Some say that you should keep one area (the hide) high humidity, while the rest of the enclosure low, to simulate a desert environment of dry outside but humid in the burrows.
    Some say that if you generally have a higher humidity overall it allows tortoises in captivity to grow faster eating more nutrients yet be able to flush out the waste, leading to faster but healthy growth. These people criticise the "deliberate stunting of growth" as they call it, by feeding low protein foods. Then there are other camps whom I have deemed to be wrong so I won't list them.
    I currently have it set up as the former, low humidity overall with a high humidity burrow.

13. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I don't know much about Torts but I sure know "CUTE" when I see it! :D
    Thanks for sharing the pictures!

14. grim

grim Elite Member

i love sulcatta tortoises. at my last job we had forty pound one(ironically named speedy) that walked all over the store and did what ever he wanted, including tripping me and following me when he wanted attention. Definately my favorite tortoise. that baby is a beauty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.