This Disappears When Logged In

Pics of "Hot Scorpions"

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by BrianS, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Here are pics of my very toxic scorps. I also have less venomous scorps but I guess I like to show these bad boys off lol

Androctonus bicolor (Black Fat Tail)
    [​IMG]

Androctonus australis (Yellow Fat Tail)
    [​IMG]

Parabuthus liosoma (Black Tip Thick Tail)
    [​IMG]

Parabuthus mossambicensis (Yellow Thick Tail)
    [​IMG]

Parabuthus transvaalicus (Black Thick Tail Spitter)
    this one can spray venom :eek:
    [​IMG]

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Niiice :D I didn't know you could even get fat-tails. Do you just order them, or do you have a permit or a license?

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Thats a serious collection. Ever have any escapees?

Thanks for sharing.

4. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

I got these from www.Botarby8s.com and www.carolinaspecialtypets.com
    There are several online dealers that sell these. I don't need a permit to keep them. I think Florida is about the only place that requires a permit to keep Buthids.

5. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

No I haven't. I keep them in secure enclosures. Like all scorps, they can't climb glass so they are real easy to manage. The A bicolor is the one that I worry about the most because it is extremely fast. It is as fast as many of my tarantulas.

6. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I checked out that site and the prices are too reasonable. I don't think I can resist :)

I may put a small order together when I get home after the holidays. Are the scorps just in critter keepers with some peat/cocohusk as the substrate?

I used to be scared to death of bugs...

7. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Believe it or not I had them in deli cups with dry peat for awhile. I was waiting for some sand to arrive. I now have them in small tanks with sand. Kritterkeepers work well too. I will try to post some fotos of the enclosures. They are very easy to keep as long as your careful.

8. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I don't think I am going to go with anything 'dangerous.' I'm actually just planning on getting a few roaches and seeing if I can breed them for food (not my food, gex food :eek: ) , if I'm feeling risky I might throw in something else little.

With all these 'bugs' do you have any mantids?

9. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Scorp's are definately on my list.

10. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

I have mantids since I was a kid. I raised some Chinese Mantids this Summer. They are now deceased but I have some egg sacs from them.

11. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Here is one of the enclosures.
    [​IMG]

12. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

if you ever got tagged by one(god forbid)do you need antivenmon like if you got bit but a hot snake? cool pis by the way

13. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

There is no antivenin in the USA for these scorps. The A australis kills more people than any other scorp in the world. Drop for drop it is as toxic as a cobra. However, chances are very slim that a healthy adult would actually die. A sting would send you to the hospital I'm pretty sure and you might wish you were dead since it would certainly be a very unpleasant experience.
    These are much much easier to deal with than venomous snakes obviously but a person just needs to be careful.
    As you can see in the enclosure pic, I have light colored sand. I keep the black scorps on light colored sand and the yellow scorps on black sand. This makes it easy to see where the scorp is if I ever need to do any maintanance. Fortunately scorps are very low maintaince "pets".

14. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Im sold, as soon as I get home Im going to look into ordering one. I hope your ready for some questions coming your way :)

15. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

lol, you just kicked the 12 step program to the curb :p Yeah, I'd probably do the same :rolleyes:

16. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Its true its true, but don't tell anyone. Seeing as I am the unofficial spokesperson you can't tell anyone I failed. I made it more than a year with this front of being responsible and untempted, well the time has come....IVE RELAPSED!!!!!!!! :eek:

17. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

**Welcome to the dark side** :cool:

Master Yoda says *Take not a critter cage to the cave, your undoing it will be*

18. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

I'll help you all out any way I can ;)
    Good to see some more folks get interested in scorps. I warn you, it's hard to quit at just one lol

19. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Famous last words? I am hoping that there are some available at the upcoming show as that is what Im going to wait for.

Jay, thanks for the warm welcome! LOL I look forward to succumbing to the powers of the dark side. :cool:

20. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Another scorp foto

These aren't nearly as toxic as the others. They will fit on a dime right now. One of the few communal scorp species out there.

Babycurus jacksoni (Red Thick Tail) from Tanzania
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.