This Disappears When Logged In

Picking Up My First Burm :)

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by Yeti, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Yeti

Yeti Member

09 albino female currently at 7-8 feet and about 25-30 lbs she was a rescue when she was 6 months old. She is currently feeding on 1 lb f/t rabbits and is super friendly. My friend rescued her and tamed her to a gentle giant used her for educational shows. I'm picking her up on wednesday

I have her tank, and everything set up and waiting for her arrival any tips and pointers would be appreciated

Thanks guys!

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

How big is the enclosure you're moving her into?

I would recommend feeding her outside of her enclosure. And continuing to work with her so she's knows the difference between "off" (handling) and "on" (feeding). :)

3. Yeti

Yeti Member

I do have one concern do you guys use hooks to get your burms out the the tank for handling, or just feeding, or both?

4. Yeti

Yeti Member

Could it be something like pavlovs theory training the snake with hook for feeding and hands for handling, I'd rather bother a not hungry burm lol

5. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

You should always use a hook when interacting. Your burm might confuse your warm, moving hand for food if you don't "turn her off" first. In my experience (and what I've learned from more experienced people), they do not associate the hook with food, so you can use it for whatever you want. However, make sure it doesn't smell like food when you touch her with it. I feed frozen-thawed and use the hook to move food around on occasion, to gain my burm's interest.

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I feed all my snakes inside their enclosures. I have not found any of my guys to associate my opening their cage or touching them with food. I never use a hook to get mine out either- not saying you shouldn't do these things mind you- I am only telling you what I personally do. I would look at possibly increasing the size of the rabbits you feed though. My smallest Burm is about 8-9 feet long and eats 7 pound f/t rabbits.

7. Yeti

Yeti Member

She's an *** when it comes to eating, almost like a ball, takes no time to strike but shell strangle the lifeless bunny for 45 minutes then decide she needs to strike and strangle again lol, it's a good thing she's cute cuz she's a pain.

How old is your smallest burm ands what's the girth like on it?