This Disappears When Logged In

Picked Up My First Carpet Today!!!!

Discussion in 'Carpet/Diamond Pythons' started by CryHavoc17, Jul 1, 2013.

1. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

So I've been hoping to stumble upon the right snake for me for some time now. I just happen to check craigslist and found a beautiful year old IJ some teenager wanted to get rid of. He/she is in awesome shape considering how terrible this kids husbandry was. He even through in a gorgeous 15x15x50 inch aquarium! Normally I wouldn't have gone the tank route but it was too much of a steal not to! The kid had never managed to handle the snake, he was too scared it was going to bite him. He was absolutely shocked that I just reached in and scooped it up while ignoring the hissing and halfhearted striking. Pictures soon to follow once my little buddy settles in!!

Words can't describe to you guys how happy I am right now!

2. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Alrighty guys here he/she is! This is the tank that came with the animal. I had to thow a setup together off spare parts and extras I had lying around, it is going to be like this for a good bit while little buddy settles in. I have big plans for the setup in the coming months. Heating is a 60 watt CHE in the middle, 8x18 inch UTH on the left side. No thermostat for 48 hours but I do have a dimmer on it which beats a blank. Total coincidence I was ordering a thermostat online on Friday for my new boaphile cage that's coming in a few weeks, decided to buy two just in case!

20130701_125438.jpg

20130701_125432.jpg

20130701_124804.jpg

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

That's a nice find! Congrats on the new guy and look forward to more pix, it does look rather well too :) Wait till the carpet guys stop by ;)

4. justor

justor Elite Member

I'm surprised I missed this thread haha. Very excited for you! You will fall in love I guarantee it! Carpets are the coolest snakes on the planet in my (not so) humble opinion ;), and that Harrisoni is definitely a looker! Major congrats, and I hope you get hooked like I have!

5. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Anyone with suggestions on names? I'm totally drawing a blank on a cool, unisex name

6. diehardislanders

diehardislanders Elite Member

I saw you post in another thread about a carpet python?? Welcome to the club cry! Sweet looking guy you got there. Is it an Irian Jaya? Pics a little blurry. You should post a few more up, I can look at carpet pics all day. (ask my wife)

Edit: Never mind, I just read the original post, lol skipped it somehow before. I have a soft-spot for IJ's! Nice looking one too, that is what I currently have.

7. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Thanks dude! No lie I've been waiting for you to find this thread so you could geek out with me!

Vet gave lil man a clean bill of health last week and we've had one feeding attempt which was successful. He's been in his water bowl since the feed so I'm hoping for a fresh shed in s couple more days, tons of pics to follow for sure

8. diehardislanders

How big is he? What did you feed him, were you able to get him to take a rat? Cannot wait for the fresh shed pics, I want to see how those bands look.

9. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

I would estimate him somewhere around 3.5 ft, at his biggest point maybe 1.5 times larger then the diameter of my thumb. He took a live adult mouse monday, which was a good size meal for him (thats what the previous owner was feeding). Ill probably get one more mouse in him before I start the transition to f/t rats, I'm not too worried about it

10. diehardislanders

Nice! He is just a bit smaller than my girl right now. When you do try a rat, go straight for a small, my girl handled (slightly bigger than) small rats fine at 3.5 feet. Also, keep a f/t mouse on hand just in case you need to scent. You should put up a few feeding pics when the time comes lol.

11. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

So after 2 weeks of only going between his water bowl and cold hide he finally started using his hot side two days ago. I though he had a bit of an attitude before that! Now that he's warmed up he was a straight up psychopath. His name is officially Stryker. Were going for his first rat tomorrow, pics to follow. No shed yet but he's def close, pattern is getting super dull