This Disappears When Logged In

Pic Included - Help Figuring Out Whether Allie is Male or Female, and Age

Discussion in 'Alligator Lizards' started by booboo, Jun 4, 2014.

1. booboo

booboo New Member

I read that a male has a more triangular head than a female, but I'm having a hard time determining what level of triangularity is needed to make it a male vs. female. Any help would be hugely appreciated -

lizard.jpg

Also, from head to tail it measures 8.5 inches and from head to hind leg it measures about 3.5 - 4 inches. Anyone might be able to guess the age?

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Re: Pic Included - Help Figuring Out Whether Allie is Male or Female, and A

Hard to tell from that shot, vent shots also show signs for male or female.

An adult head of the male in season is unmistakable. Usually redish and very much arrow head shaped. Back color can be better in males but I have seen some pretty cool colors on females as well.

Given the tail base is evenly tapered I'd lean toward female, but that is by far a weak judgment.

Hard to tell age without knowing it's life history. WC can grow sporadically all it's life, and poorly cared for captive bred can do the same. Visually this looks like a nice specimen from the one photo. I'd say young adult of no more than 2 years (ish). Again that is a guestamit

3. booboo

booboo New Member

Thanks!

Could I take a better angle shot to give a better guess?

I have another Southern allie, and I was planning to put them together - they are about the same size. If I guess the sex wrong and they are both male, would they end up killing each other?

Thanks

4. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Male or female will not get along, these guys are solitary by nature. I ventral shot could give a better look at the base of the tale and well as a look at the femoral pores, though small can help between the sexes.

- - - Updated - - -

Male or female will not get along, these guys are solitary by nature. I ventral shot could give a better look at the base of the tale and well as a look at the femoral pores, though small can help between the sexes.

5. socalherps

socalherps Active Member

looks Female. Ive breed these before and females heads are only slightly larger than their neck.

6. lizardhoarder139

lizardhoarder139 Elite Member

I love these guys, I had a ton of them as a kid. I would push toward female also. Shes in good shape!!