This Disappears When Logged In

PIC HEAVY POST!!! My New Chaco Golden Knee!!!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by nikkistorms, Oct 7, 2012.

1. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Athena My Chaco! She is a beaut! Settled into her 12x12x12 Exo-Terra Terrarium, Coco fiber bedding (Got some peat moss today, might change it out), Water dish, and food dish for the worms, And a log! IMG_0165.jpg IMG_0147.jpg IMG_0146.jpg IMG_0141.jpg IMG_0140.jpg

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Looks good. You might consider a small fake plant for additional hides.

3. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

She's so tiny what a freakin cutie! Congrats!

4. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

YUP going to HOBBY LOBBY tomorrow to get some vines and another hide! and some leaves for the top to keep out light. I was also told to get the aquarium backing and cover 3 sides... not sure about that part.

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice looking girl!

6. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Thank you!!! She is only 3 inches so freaking cute! Breeder said she should get about 8 inches!

7. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

You don't need the backing. Or vines..they are terrestrial so she's going to need a lot more floor space as she grows. If you can get big sturdy wood peices she can crawl all over-that would make her happy. And for a water dish maybe something wider and shallower. Something she can just walk right in and out.

8. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

OK will look for those things.

9. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Hey maybe your G.pulchripe want's to play with my G.Rosea. rose.jpg

10. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

LOL too cute

11. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

OK. What does their feces look like? IF she were to flick hair at me how do I get it off? Do they see in color? I want to put a led viewing light inside her terrarium But I dont want to offend her lol

12. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Some people say they can see all but the red spectrum of light. Oh she will flick hairs eventually. Just wash your hands really well after. It just irritates the skin. Don't hold her near your face-and wait a few months before holding her anyway. The light is ok if it doesn't produce heat. In that small of enclosure you're going to end up cooking her-though I don't think LED produces heat? The spiders do come out during the day so they light is fine you just have to worry about heat. And only leave the light on for half the day. Around 3-4 turn it off and let her relax.

13. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Awesome. I definitely don't plan to hold her for a while. I want her to chill in her home first. The breeder told me that she may not eat for the first few days. Today is day 3. She doesn't seem to be interested in food. Should I just put a cricket in there every day til she eats it? I have a bowl a glass one, that I have mealworms in. They can't get out so I leave that in all the time. But she hasn't gone near it. I let a cricket in there loose and every time the cricket comes close to her she just backs up. I know it is getting colder here and that can slow them down.

14. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

How big is the cricket? Don't worry about food. She is younge but Ts are tough. My t. Blondi went 4 months before eating one time because she had a difficult molt. The bowl is good leave that there.

15. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

I don't say this often but that t is pretty! But yuck! I don't understand why people want ts for pets!:p good luck! And have fun!

16. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Same reason people look at iguanas and say why would you want this monster as a pet. T's are beautiful and lovely creatures very low matenance. Having and appreciating an animal is a wonderful pay off when you can see something so small and delicate grow into a huge graceful spider. You don't have to have an animal you can pick up and play with for it to be a great pet. There's nothing yuck about it.

17. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

I put two. A small one, like maybe the length of a dime. Then a lil bigger one the length of say a nickle or just shy of length of a quarter. In the bowl I put 4 mealworms and today I put just a super worm. Trying every food stuff I can lol.

18. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

Wait a few days only keep one cricket in at a time. If the breeder fed only Dubias like a lot of them do he might not recognize either as food. Leave one cricket in there all day and remove at night. Don't stress too much it's totally normal.

19. nikkistorms

nikkistorms Elite Member

Ok will do. The breeder says he fed worms and crickets. I am concered how I am going to remove this cricket at night... I don't plan to stick my hand in there . I suppose I can coak the cricket to the front of the cage with my snake hook... Can't find my long tweezers I used last night...

20. Ekti

Ekti Member

Oh how I admire those of you who house arachnids. I, personally, cannot fathom the idea of a spider that big in my house, let alone keeping it there on purpose. Hats off.