This Disappears When Logged In

*PIC HEAVY* Herping Cusuco National Park, Buenos Aires, Honduras

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by AjaMichelle, Mar 17, 2012.

1. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

That looked like an awesome trip. I would love to go out herping like that. I can only hit my local state parks and what not. Maybe one day I can go on a trip like that. Lovely photos. Any time you want to post more feel free I love these.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Looks like a great place to visit Aja, very nice pics and most of the animals were good too, except the big spiders, I don`t like big spiders (don`t like little ones either)....
    Did you eat what looks like a witchetty grub (I`m sure it`s not though), but no doubt tastes just as nice?
    Considering you were in the bush, you didn`t look too haggard to me! ;)

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

For sure! I tried to find more Sceloporus but I think it was too cold. Another good source for information about Sceloporus in Cusuco National Park is
    Amphibians and Reptiles of Cusuco National Park Honduras (Los Anfibios Y Reptiles Del Parque Nacional)
    Amazon.com: Amphibians and Reptiles of Cusuco National Park Honduras (Los Anfibios Y Reptiles Del Parque Naciona (9781932871128): Josiah H Townsend: Books

And this is a good source for information on Sceloporus throughout central America
    Amazon.com: Reptiles of Central America, 2nd REVISED EDITION 2008 (9783936180282): Gunther Kohler: Books

I'll be going on a trip to herp part of southern New Mexico and a little eastern Arizona in a week or two so I'll likely be posting more photos! Hopefully of Heloderma suspectum (Gila Monster)!!! :)

Luckily for me I love spiders and seeing them was like the cherry on top! I actually woke up the last "morning" (it was actually like 11am and I had gone to bed at 6am) with the fuzziest little black spider in my sleeping bag.

Unfortunately my only experience with local cuisine was a break from vegetarianism to eat some fried chicken (my first time!). Apparently the folks in the area take their fried chicken with mayonnaise and super sugary ketchup called "salsa." I found this very confusing at first because I live in an area where virtually every meal I eat includes chile and where salsa is a typically chunky condiment made from tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro, and chile peppers. Definitely not ketchup. :)

Thanks! My hair was developing quite a film by the end of the trip and I have some pictures I took of myself holding critters and I just look totally crazy. They're hilarious. I should have paid more attention to my facial expressions lol

4. mercy009

mercy009 Member

Beautiful pictures. I love that Emerald Swift!!!:D

5. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I want to see the crazy pictures!!!

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

A friend of mine caught me in a pic after crashing through a stream chasing a whiptail... buggers are fast at high noon :p thats about the craziest pic of me out herp'n that I can recall...

7. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

Congrats on such a successful trip, the pics you posted are simply amazing. I look forward to seeing more pics form your adventures!!!

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am quite envious of your trip!
    Actually I thought you looked cute! But then again I am partial to redheads!;)
    Though I can't imagine wearing a hooded sweatshirt in a tropical rainforest! Whew!

9. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Excellent stuff, Aja--I wish I had the time to do this.

10. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Okay… you asked for them lol : )
    I was only sleeping about 4 hours each morning, after which I would get up and eat a meal consisting mostly of peanut butter. This was followed by about an hour of lying down, and then I would get back to herp related activities. I started to look more and more frazzled as the days went on, finally culminating in the photo with the basilisk. What can I say? I was really excited about this basilisk…

Posing with the first exquisita I captured (likely a female)
    This lady sent me swimming down a river after her
    P3120191_Copy.jpg

With Imantodes cenchoa (still fairly early on)
    P3140372-1.jpg

Another pic with the male exquisita in front of the park sign
    P3140345.jpg

Posing with Ninia espinaliand looking pretty crazy
    P3140336.jpg

Probably too excited about basilisks
    P3110082.jpg

"Double-fisting" johnmeyeri before the waterfall hike
    P3140398.jpg

Thanks! I was trying my best to look cute lol
    It was freezing! We were at such a high elevation that it was sunny and really warm for only a few hours a day, and I think temps dropped to the 40’s (Fahrenheit) about the time I was trying to sleep. Ambient temps were typically 50 to 60 degrees, and it was very humid when it wasn’t raining. I was wearing multiple layers! I would try to sleep until the sun came out and then I would transfer my bed to a picnic table outside and sleep in the sun until the flies became active.
    At one point I jumped into a waterfall and it honestly felt like someone was throwing rocks at me it was so cold!
    I was pretty unfazed by the weather though. : ) Herping kept me warm!

Attached Files:

11. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

You look great in all of them!

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Yes, even when frazzled and haggard you still manage to look great, Aja.... :(((

So what`s the secret??????? :confused: ;)

13. BarelyBreathing

You're a hotty, Aja. Hahaha, that's pretty creepy of me.

14. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks guys! :) BB you aren't creepy! And Stefan, the secret is a good hair brushing twice a day lol :)

15. BarelyBreathing

Hahaha, I'm glad you don't think so.

16. Sarahyvette94

Sarahyvette94 Member

That first male is so beautiful, the colours are amazing!