This Disappears When Logged In

*PIC HEAVY* Herping Cusuco National Park, Buenos Aires, Honduras

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by AjaMichelle, Mar 17, 2012.

1. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Hi All,
    I returned last night from a week long trip to Honduras. We spent the week herping Cusuco National Park, located west of the small montane community of Buenos Aires. Cusuco National Park is just over 23,000 hectares and consists of a core protected area surrounded by a buffer zone. Habitat types vary with elevation and range from semi-arid pine forests to dwarf/elfin forests, but the park is typically referred to as a cloud forest. We herped through the elevations, and I regrettably did not make it to the Elfin forest because I ended up spending 10 hours on our last day hiking and trying to locate a Montane pit-viper and representatives of a genus of salamander that we had not yet retrieved. Unfortunately it was just too cold, which is especially disappointing, as had it been 15 degrees warmer (Fahrenheit), we definitely would have found both and some Anguids.

Despite my best efforts, I did not locate any vipers though Bothriechis species (Eyelash vipers) and Bothrops asper (Fer-de-Lance, Terciopelo) were known in the area. But the trip was incredibly successful and I recovered a sizable number of herps on my own! It was a great challenge. I saw some species that are known from so few specimens they are almost like ghosts and we were so successful with others that we were able to release certain individuals. It was amazing! I just wish I was able to stay longer. :)

So here are photos I took of some of the herps recovered and of invertebrates I encountered while herping.

I look a bit haggard in some of the pics because we essentially spent the week camping without electricity. I had the opportunity to take some super cold showers in the field but decided not to due to the accorded protection against mosquitoes and biting flies. Also, exposure to insect repellants can be deadly for amphibians.

Foliage varied by elevation (of course) and included lots of broad leaf plants, pine trees, palms, bromeliads, various epiphytes, vines, and lots and lots and lots of ferns of all different shapes and sizes. Some of the trees were three or four stories tall.

None of these invertebrates were small.

Anolis cusuco female
    P3100006.jpg

Anolis cusuco male dewlap
    P3110056.jpg

This spider was about 10cm (about four inches) wide and next to my bed
    P3100009.jpg

Butterfly
    P3100016.jpg

Anolis ocelloscapularis
    P3100021.jpg

P3100027.jpg

P3100031.jpg

This stick-bug was about 30cm (about 12 inches) long and about 3 meters (about 9 feet) up in a tree
    P3100034.jpg

This larvae was about 10cm (about four inches) long
    P3100035.jpg

P3100040.jpg

Bolitoglossa dunni (Mushroom-tongue salamander)
    P3140375.jpg

P3140377.jpg

Several basilisks, including a juvenile (with GIANT feet)
    Basiliscus vittatus (Brown or Striped Basilisk)

P3110073.jpg

P3130267.jpg

P3130274.jpg

This spider was about 25cm (about 10 inches) wide and by a stream, I think they might eat frogs. Regardless, they are everywhere!
    P3110084.jpg

Here's another, and freshly molted. You can see its exuviae to the left.
    P3110088.jpg

Bolitoglossa mexicana (Mexican Climbing Salamander)
    P3110090.jpg

Possibly a tarantula. I was unable to identify what it was eating.
    P3110129.jpg

Two vinegaroons near one another, oriented in opposite directions. These were at least 25cm (about 8 inches) long
    P3110135.jpg

P3110139.jpg

Anolis petersi female.
    Dewlap is spotted purple on cream.
    P3120167.jpg

Plectrohyla exquisita
    This is a giant tree frog endemic to Honduras. I found this female about 9 meters up the side of a cliff face over a 1.5 meter deep pool in a stream.
    P3120151.jpg

P3120186.jpg

P3120185.jpg

This is a male exquisita
    P3140341.jpg

P3140343.jpg

Anolis tropidonotus male
    P3140300.jpg

P3120213.jpg

P3140299.jpg

P3140306.jpg

Anolis lemurinus male
    P3120208.jpg

P3140309.jpg

P3140315.jpg

Anolis rodriguezi male
    P3140321.jpg

P3140323.jpg

Sceloporus schmidti (Emerald Swift)
    P3140302.jpg

P3140303.jpg

Dragon flies
    P3130292.jpg

P3110094.jpg

Anolis johnmeyeri male
    P3120156.jpg

P3140328.jpg

Anolis johnmeyeri female dewlap
    P3140389.jpg

Duellmanohyla soralia male and female in amplexus
    P3120228.jpg

Leptophis ahaetulla (Green Parrot Snake)
    P3120231.jpg

P3130243.jpg

Craugaster charadra
    P3130271.jpg

Ninia espinali (A species of earth snake)
    Note the iridescent scales
    P3140331.jpg

P3140333.jpg

Imantodes cenchoa
    P3140360.jpg

P3140368.jpg

Bolitoglossa diaphora female
    P3140352.jpg

P3140353.jpg

Anolis amplisquamosus male
    P3140390.jpg

P3140396.jpg

Male Duellmanohyla soralia in a bromeliad
    P3140406.jpg

P3140405.jpg

Anolis biporcatus male
    P3130252.jpg

Anolis biporcatus juvenile
    Dewlap was black and white striped which is completely different than dewlap patterns exhibited by the adults. They also have a green tongue!
    P3130282.jpg

Sunset at almost 2000 meters
    P3150411.jpg

Attached Files:

2. sirtalis

sirtalis Member

Nice pictures! That parrot snake made my day :)

3. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Edit: When I said I found the exquisita female 9 meters up, I meant 3 meters or about 9 feet! Oops! :)

Thanks! He attacked me right after these photos were taken lol. I picked him up, he smelled me, then went crazy chewing on my hand! Their bites are supposed to be excruciating and cause localized swelling but luckily I was able to pluck him off before he broke too much skin.

I think he bit me because I had handled a bunch of anoles before taking him out for photos and L ahaetulla feed primarily on anoles in this area. I'm sure I smelled like food!

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That must have been an incredible experience, I can see why you said a week wasn't long enough. Awesome photos, felt like I was there, thanks for sharing.
    It amazes me just how many different species of reptiles and amphibian there are and you found some great one. Maybe next time you'll get to see a pit vipor:)

P.S.
    We missed you

5. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Simply amazing, all of it. Thank you so much...

6. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Not enough pics of the Sceloporus :) Envyous for sure :)

7. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Thanks! It was incredible. I ended up swimming down a river at one point, chasing that female exquisita as she tried to swim away from me! Watching a tree frog swim is definitely strange! She would have escaped had she been a Ranid. I hope to return for sure!

I missed you guys too! I see there were several anole threads posted in my absence lol! I got wireless internet in San Pedro Sula and checked HC after checking my email! :)

8. mld

Of course as soon as you left the anole thread started to get lively, must be that time of year! lol

9. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Indeed! We only found two males and zero females! Very unexpected. The second male (not the one in the first set of photos) was quite difficult to catch. It took me like 5 minutes to noose him lol
    Here are some pics of the second male:
    P3110048.jpg

P3110046.jpg

P3110045.jpg

P3110042.jpg

P3110058.jpg

P3110057-1.jpg

You might also like to know that these guys were considered malachiticus, but then the species group was split based on locality. So these guys are now schmidti. :)

Here is another pic of the first male. He was found at night, asleep. This is actually what color he is, not a camera setting! :)
    P3140302-1.jpg

We released both. :)

Attached Files:

10. mld

How did I know you were going to say that! It was a gorgeous photo though:)

11. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

And I meant to post this other photo of the first male! The one I just posted was a duplicate. Oops! :)

P3140304.jpg

Attached Files:

12. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Ok my keyboard is full of drool :)

It is just starting to be their "wake up" time down there so I'm not suprised there where not many more. I'm waiting for them to wake up so the suppliers start seeing them :p Unfortunatly just about all the emerald swifts on the market are wild caught. Something I'd like to see changed but not enough interest on the market keeps breeders away... Not going to stop me from breeding them :)

13. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your pics! Love that parrot snake!!

14. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

So I'm pretty much in love with the mushroom tongue salamander. Oh my gosh is that adorable.

By the way, those aren't vinagaroons.

15. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

I took a bunch of pics just for you! And tried to be aware of anything that might help you with your set up but the one I noosed was just out basking in a garden so I didn't get any natural history info. However, I can ask the person who found the first male for details if you would like. :)

They aren't? Do you know what they are? :)

Also, I thought that vinegaroon was a common name for tailless whip scorpions...

16. sirtalis

sirtalis Member

I was also under that impression, someone please clarify?

17. BarelyBreathing

Those are tailless whip scorpions. Vinegaroons have a little thread like thing on their rear.

Vinegaroons are Mastigoproctus giganteus. Whip scorpions are Amblypygi.

Edit: Sirtalis, do I know you on another forum under a different name?

18. sirtalis

sirtalis Member

Yes, you do :)

I'm youngster.

19. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I would be interested in any info you could come up with. I'm going to try pin pointing your general location so I can start a map of the different sub spiecies of Emerald Swifts.

Thankyou SO much for the pics :) made my day :)

20. BarelyBreathing

I thought that looked like Mayhem!