This Disappears When Logged In

Philodryas Olfersii/ Leptophis mexicanus

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by eloyhouse, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eloyhouse

eloyhouse Member

HI, does anybody knows something about this snakes, I found one in a bannas box, comming for south america, but I´m not sure how to take care of him, somebody can give some info please??
    thanks

2. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

Re: Philodryas Olfersii

all i know is that its venomous

3. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I did a quick web search and didn't come up with much, except that if he bites you, you're going to be hurting. :)

My suggestion would be if he's native to your area, let him go on his peaceful way.

If he's not native to your area, contact local game and wildlife authorities, or perhaps a zoo. They may be able to give you information on how to contact someone who can take it and care for it, or release it into its native environment.

I wouldn't try to keep it, myself. But if you have got a lot of experience and really want it, you could look up what the temperatures and humidity are in its native environment, and what they eat in the wild, and whether they are tree dwellers or ground dwellers. This will give you a starting point with the enclosure you need and what you'll need to feed him.

4. thead11

thead11 Elite Member

i read that they are arboreal, and they eat lots of stuff lol, including birds.
    they are from south america.

http://www.philodryas.com/olfersiiENG.html

It is also called the Green Snake.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Are you certain it's Philodryas olfersii? It very well could be if it's from Brazil or that area, but I just wanted to make sure. Snakes in this genus can look very much alike and it's possible it's a different Philodryas.

These snakes are rear-fanged venomous colubrids. If the snake managed to envenomate you, you could expect to get local inflammation of the bite area, and possibly some ill symptoms and/or a rash. Expect possible hemorrhagic activity near the site as well. It will hurt. Though the species is generally not thought of as deadly, there have been unconfirmed deaths coming from the genus if I'm not mistaken. Reactions can vary from person to person as well, so it could be worse.

Snakes of this genus tend to feed on rodents, birds, and small reptiles. They are not native to your area, so I wouldn't release it. Should you decide to try keeping it, their care would be similar to vine snakes I'd imagine. Some Philodryas species are terrestrial, but Philodryas olfersii is arboreal.

Do not release the snake. Though I would normally say you should hand it over to authorities, they will most likely kill it. It won't be worth their effort to find it a new home or to send it back to where it came from. This is especially true of a snake, and a venomous one at that.

I will continue to help as best I can, but although I don't usually like outsourcing from HC, the guy's at The Venomlist - For All Things Venomous may be able to help you as well. They specialize in venomous snakes and invertebrates and have many experienced keepers of such creatures on the site.

6. eloyhouse

eloyhouse Member

[F]thank you very much all you guys,
    Well he definitely is not from here, I think they are from Uruguay, kind far from here, tomorrow I´m going to check with a friend that he works with the wildlife authorities and he is a herpetologist, so I hope to find out what this snake really is, I really would like to keep it, with lots of care and caution of curse, it´s beautiful and very peacefully, so lets see, thank you for all your replies
    [/FONT], thanks:)

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

good luck with your new found friend.

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Keep us updated on how he's doing too, and post some pictures sometime if you can. I'd love to hear how he's doing from time to time :)

9. ryanpb

ryanpb Elite Member

I think these guys are very cool snakes. I used to always think venomous snakes were more of a risk then worth there while, but have come to find them very interesting, and one day, may even attempt to aquire one of the "less then deadly" variants. If i do, this snake is one of the ones i came across as a possibility. in part because of the lower risk then something more venomous, but also because ive read they have a better disposition the many other hots, though if i ever get a hot it will be quite a bit down the road.
    Sounds like he's got a good home.

10. eloyhouse

eloyhouse Member

Philodryas Olfersii

hi again. I found that the snake is a male, but, he is about 2 years old, but he is not a Philodryas Olfersii, he is a very similar snake called Leptophis mexicanus is not a dangerous snake but the like to bite jejeje, they are arborial, they eat mostly frogs and small reptiles, they like very humid.
    He is very beautiful, with an impressive mix of greens and some blue or black, in this case, he is very friendly, is not aggressive and easy to handle, so I´ll try to do my best to take care of him.
    I will upload some pictures and vids soon, thanks for all your help,
    now if do you know something about this species, all your help and coments is welcome, thanks

11. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

May I ask how you determined its sex, age, and species?

Well this species is not venomous, as you mentioned. Leptophis mexicanus is the Mexican parrot snake, also known as the bronze-backed parrot snake...because they have bronze backs. Care would still be very similar to Asian vine snakes though, whose niche they fill on this continent. I'm not sure how readily they'll accept mice, but I advise you try it. You may wish to use fuzzies or hoppers, depending on the size of your snake. If he accepts the mice, then that's what I'd use as the staple in his diet.

Normally this species feeds on reptiles, amphibians, and birds. You'll want to set up an arboreal habitat. If he doesn't accept the mice, you can purchase anoles (at least in the US) relatively easily. This can get expensive though, so I'd recommend you try training him to take mice if you can. Try rubbing the mouse on a lizard or frog and see if he falls for scent training. I know this trick works great with most snakes, but I've had difficulty getting vine snakes to fall for it because they hunt by site rather than scent. If you try it, let me know how well it works.

You'll have better luck feeding this snake live prey, at least for now. Although you're welcome to try pre-killed prey. If it works, that's great. But if not, anoles, fuzzies, and/or hoppers will pose him no danger. I'd avoid feeding live adult mice. I'm also moving this thread, considering it's apparently not a venomous snake after all.

12. eloyhouse

eloyhouse Member

well, I took him with a friend of mine that he is herpetologist, we were comparing different types of snakes that he may be, an by checking all his body, color, bands and the way he was found we start to suspect about this, then we check in some book and suspect, and there he is, just the same snake, so he definitely is a Leptophis mexicanus, the age and sex determination we think is a male, because the size of he tail in comparition with the body and the tail and the males have a distinctive blue band on the topline, so we are almost sure that he is a male, about the age the length of body and size, he is still a young specimen, but it is an adult allready, so they live something like 6 years or so, so we think he is like 2 years.
    I´ll try to feed him with some mises, I hope he eats them but just because I want to have a variation in his diet, but like you said they eat lizards birds eggs and some small mammals, but mostly they eat frogs, so I will try to feed him with a little bit of all this, it´s kind easy to geth frogs and other pery items here, so lets see, I´ll upload pictures and videos out of him soon,
    thanks

13. eloyhouse

eloyhouse Member

like I said, I upload a few pics in the gallery, here they are,
    I´ll upload some more later

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.