This Disappears When Logged In

Philodendrons and Spider Plants

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by Sabrina, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Sabrina

Sabrina Well-Known Member

I've always loved Philodendrons and Spider Plants (Chlorophytum Comosum) of all sorts, my mother has grown them throughout her house for as long as I can remember, probably before I was even thought of.

I have never been able to grow them in our home as we have three dogs and two cats, even non-toxic houseplants are too much of a hassle in this house. However, I would love to grow some in the vivarium that I am planning but have always been under the impression that I wouldn't be able to do so because they are toxic and I would like to have lizards.

However, I've been doing a lot of research and apparently a lot of people use these plants in their vivariums, so I'm wondering if maybe there's something to this?

If anyone's got any advice for me, that would be awesome. :) Thanks.

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

I keep philodendrons in many of my planted vivs. I keep amazon tree boas, emerald tree boas, crested geckos, tokay geckos, electric blue cave geckos, and some species of arachnids. They have been in with philodendrons for years without problems.

3. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

I occasionally will put the spider plants in with my iguana since she can and will eat them. I switch it up between a few different plants for her. I am not sure what kind of lizard you want but heres a website for the ones that are ok for Igs. You could probably do a search for the plants that are not harmful to the particular lizard you want.
    Edible and Harmful Plants

Edible Plants List

4. Sabrina

Thank you both! :) I will check out those links, Kathy.
    I've also heard that because Anoles won't eat the leaves, it doesn't matter anyways.
    I don't know how true that is, though I can't recall mine ever eating leaves... They loved fruit though.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Most plants that are toxic need to be consumed to get the toxins - if your animal is not going to consume them, you will not have a problem.

The only *potential* problem would be prey items consuming toxic material, and then being ingested by your animal, but I do not know how.... potent that may be???

6. Sabrina

I thought about that too, Dragoness.
    I have more research to do! :)

7. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

Philodendron are mildly toxic, but spider plants aren't.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Good to know - I have a bout a bajillion spider plants. I have one big one that keeps spawning. I have already cut and rooted about 20 smaller plants from it, and given them away, but more keep popping up.