This Disappears When Logged In

Pet Ring-Neck Snake

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Horselover, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

So I caught another Ring-Neck, and, I have to keep it. It has a bad kink in it's tail, and is very sluggish, and has trouble hunting.I know, Rich, but it will die other wise, so I'm not letting it go! I'm not going to try to tame it, just try and duplicate it's habitat and make sure it has enough of what it needs to survive. Not to mention, I could contribute to the pathetic amount of knowledge people have of these reclusive snakes. I want you guy's help in research where they are found in the wild, and what hey need. We can add more to the world's knowledge of these snakes. With that knowledge, we can help with conservation.

2. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

you can try to keep it, but I'm going to go ahead and tell you that it will probably die anyway, especially if its already not so healthy. Dont get your hopes up too much.

best of luck to you

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Good luck, though just because a snake is injured does not mean it is better off in captivity - and that can actually hasten it's demise, because of the stress factor. A kinked tail is hardly a serious problem for most snakes, and if it's sluggish, it's probably either cold, or already dying. I found a ring neck once that had it's tail (or part of it) missing! And he was just fine. I took a picture (See Below - in the background, you can clearly see the snake's vent, and the tail terminates shortly after.)

If you are determined to keep it, you need to get it to a vet to get it de-wormed asap, before any parasites it may have gain a foothold and weaken it's immune system. The vet can make further recommendations for medical care as well, and give it a thorough once-over, and see if there are any other hidden problems.

Ring-necks are pretty standard in the care department, a warm and cool side (I'd aim for 80 warm, 70 cool, with gradients, you can adjust when you notice which ranges the snake uses most.), moist and dry hides, decent ambient humidity, since their normal environment is quite humid (under natural debris). The kicker is the food, and the fact that they are very shy snakes. They eat invertebrates. With a suitable variety of insects, you might manage to keep one alive and healthy. The variety is what will be hard to get where you live owing to Florida's ban on many tropical invertebrates. You also need to make sure they are not wild caught, mind you, because of the serious risk of pesticides and other poisons, which will sicken your snake. It might be in your (and the snake's) best interest to start culturing local species of bug a Ringneck is likely to encounter, being ground dwellers as they are. I would avoid things that are potentially poisonous or venomous, such as millipedes and centipedes. Pill millipedes are probably safe, as they are actually a crustacean, and not closely related to proper millipedes. Worms, palmetto bugs, beetles (as long as you can identify the species, and know it is not harmful) grubs, etc.

Available inverts you might have access to at local stores:
    Crickets
    Superworms
    Mealworms
    Discoid Roaches (Legal in FL)
    Earthworms
    Tomato/Tobacco hornworms (?)

Attached Files:

4. Proud

Proud Member

Was its tail missing right below the anal plate? Or am I seeing 2 snakes?

5. Proud

Proud Member

I once also had a ringneck, It wasn't injured though. It died of old age I guess. I was an adult. I was watching it for a cousin.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

No you don't "Have to keep it!" You are choosing to. And using the kink as an excuse.
    How do you know it has trouble hunting? Did you spend all day observing it or did you just see it and snatch it up?
    I'm sorry to have to be so blunt but from the questions you have been asking you are in no way the person to take care of and rehabilitate an injured wild snake.

7. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Agreed! A kinked tail is no reason to take in a wild snake especially if you aren't planning on releasing it back to the wild.

8. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

My thoughts exactly!

A kink in it's tail is nothing that will keep it from living it's life in the wild where it belongs,instead of dying in your incapable hands because you THINK you can provide it with everything it needs.

By saying that you can add to the literature that is already out there because you say the rest of the world basically knows nothing of this snake just shows your immaturity, there is PLENTY of knowledge out there on these animals if you just do a bit of research you will find it.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's one snake, and it's tail is missing just below the anal plate. He seemed to get around just fine, despite the lack of a tail. That was takes in Sanford, FL, when I lived there.

10. CountTripula

CountTripula Elite Member

Wow I agree with all of the above comments. Just because you WANT it doesnt mean you should keep it.. It belongs in the wild not in some Fish tank where it will die... I can only hope you will do the right thing for the snake instead of for yourself.. You should let the little guy go..

11. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

It has trouble moving! I just don't want it to die. The kink has gotten a little better,and she ate a worm I dropped in there. If she continues to improve, not perfectly, but better, then I will let her go. It does seem that they are not nocturnal, as several sites said, but diernal. I was not so much worried about her hunting, but her being hunted.

12. Horselover

Horselover Elite Member

By the way merlin, I happen to have had a snake before, and my mom grew up with snakes, and at one point snakesat a friends boa.

13. Merlin

In all your postings you have never mentioned this until now when you are being called out? What happened to that snake?
    And what your mom did is irrelevant.
    You are trying to justify what you are wanting to do and it isn't flying!
    You have been posting how you want a snake but are not willing to feed it what it needs for whatever reason. Your parents are apparently against you having a snake and you intend to keep it hidden so they won't know. You post that you want a snake so that you can freak out your friends!
    Based on what you post, you know nothing of keeping snakes and to take an injured wild snake into captivity just for your own amusement is immature and irresponsible! Dealing with a healthy wild caught snake can be difficult enough, particularly for a novice, let alone a snake that has a physical problem.
    So after a few days YOU know more about them than anyone else? This snake's behavior is not normal because you have interfered with its normal way of life and the snake is stressed out!
    If you really want to show your maturity and responsibility, take it back and release it where it belongs!

14. AdamLaughlin

AdamLaughlin Member

Merlin from the way you drop your knowledge, I am going to assume you have a doctorate in herpetology. But if you want to try to pick apart character problems you perceive in people, as you are clearly fond of doing, you should seek education in psychology.

It's okay to believe people will respect you for the help you provide but you enjoy shaming people way too much.

15. Duskeva

Duskeva Well-Known Member

I believe the advice being given here is for the best of the animal. This isn't a forum based on psychology and I doubt it would be of any use to reptile forum. People aren't here to better each other per say, but to spread information about reptiles and how to help them.

16. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

Have you read her posts? Subtle and kind do not work work with this child. Perhaps you should re-read all of her posts and threads and then decide if he is "picking apart character problems." Or, perhaps he is just calling it is he sees it! I see no attempt at "shaming" sometimes the truth hurts. A psych degree is not required- many of us have developed sensitive bs meters.

17. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

*nods* Amen.

18. Merlin

No I don't have a doctorate in anything. But I DO have many years of hands on experience with reptiles. And a lot of experience with people who try to BS me and put their own interests above those of the well being of the animals. And then try come up with excuses to justify irresponsible behavior.
    I don't "try to pick apart character problems", I just call it like I see it.
    My primary interests are in the well being of the animals. I will politely discuss an issue with someone, but I am not going to stand there and sugar coat things and pat you on your little head and tell you that its ok to do just whatever you want to do.
    Who cares that the animal dies. Its just a snake, right!

19. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are 13, have no personal experience with snakes and now you have made a medical diagnosis of death if you don't keep it? Are you kidding me? You are absolutely clueless on this animals care. How are you going to contribute to the "pathetic amount of knowledge people have of these reclusive snakes"? You yourself are using websites to look up info because you don't have the slightest clue what you are doing. You then go on to say that you want everyones help researching the animals habitat and care. You can't educate others until you yourself are educated. From all of the posts you have written lately I HIGHLY doubt you have what it takes to care for this animal correctly. First and foremost, that animal needs to see a vet if it is as bad off as you want everyone to believe. If it isn't that bad off and wouldn't die then you should have left it where it was. I hate to say this but I have lost a great deal of respect for you. At one point you made it appear that you really were more into learning and helping others but it is very clear now that the only person you want to help is yourself. Unfortunately it is at the animals expense. You KNOW you shouldn't have taken it from the wild and yet you did anyways. Disappointed doesn't even begin to describe my thoughts after having read this thread.

I have known Merlin for over 10 years and we have been working together as staff members for nearly as long as I have known him. You have known him for 11 days. You are HIGHLY mistaken. Before you post perhaps you should wander around the website and read all of her posts. Then start at the beginning of Merlins posts and read his. Once you have finished that, come back in here and offer us some insight on Merlin and his personality. Until you have done that though you should step back and refrain from making such ignorant posts based on a thread or 2. You have been a member here now for 11 days. You haven't even begun to get to know anyone on the site.

20. Mike55

Mike55 Well-Known Member

I'm...................................beyond words after reading this thread.