This Disappears When Logged In

Pet Reptiles And Children?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Jay1718, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I have two girls ages 3yrs and 10 months, we also have a pet king snake and turtle. I'm having trouble wording this so sorry if it runs on and on.
    I'm a very protective dad, I know that my reptiles pose no risk to my girls in there enclosures. That said I'm not worried about my pets hurting my kids, or my kids hurting my animals. My oldest knows the rules and is a great observer, she doesn't tap on the glass and stuff like that, but she also shares my interest is snakes. I try not to handle the snake at all around the kids.
    I worried that they will think it's ok to pick up a snake in the yard or something. We live in the woods, so in the warmer months I usually have to relocate a few snakes from around the house.
    I don't want to tell them snakes are evil but on the same token I want them to respect them, in a since of telling me or their mom if they see one outside and to leave it alone.
    Please don't take me for the type that doesn't watch my kids, I'm a helicopter dad.
    I'm looking for a way to drive the message home that they should never, ever mess with a snake, but I feel like I sending a mixed signal with one in my living room.
    Sorry this is so long, just wanted advice from someone else who has had this conversation with young kids

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I approached it with my grandkids like this.
    The snakes in the house are pet snakes. They have been raised by people and they know us
    That's why we can handle them.
    However the snakes outside are "wild" snakes. And they do not like people and want to be left alone. And if not left alone can bite you.
    We had a concern because my grandkids lived in a rural area. Their mom worried that they would think all snakes were handleable
    One of them came in the house and told mom that there was a wild snake in the yard.
    It was a copperhead
    I guess the distinction soaked in.

3. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Merlin likes this.
  4. aztec4mia

aztec4mia Elite Member

I have always been in favor of instructing them that they are allowed to touch an animal only if me or my wife is supervising them, at least until they are old enough to know better, that allows us to be the deciding factor on what is safe or not and seems to do the trick. It goes straight down the line for any pet too (bird, dog, cat, whatever.)

gayckojoy and Jay1718 like this.