This Disappears When Logged In

Permethrin Questions

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by marya1962, Sep 28, 2011.

1. marya1962

marya1962 Elite Member

I am using Nix bedding spray. After spraying, I left the spray on the cage. Will redo in ten days (as recommended on can). But should it be sooner as regards to snake mite life cycle? Other question is, do I clean the cage with soapy or mild bleach water before I put the snake back in? Or is it safe enough to put the snake back in in without cleaning? It would seem it would be toxic especially when it comes to very young snakes. But I don't want a recurrence of the mites either. Probably a no-brainer question but would appreciate answers. Thanks.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I used permethrin to remove mites - Spray every ten days or so, for a month, then thoroughly clean it up before reintroducing the snake. Mostly, you'll want to clean it up because it's petroleum based - it'll make a mess if you leave it. Once dry (about 3 hours) Permethrin is harmless to most animals. It should not bother your snake. One of my snakes required substrate for humidity maintenance. The old substrate was of course, tossed, but the fresh was sprayed with permethrin to help keep mites out. It stays active for about a month. She never had any problems (though the bedding has been changed several times since.)

I also sprayed mats with permethrin for my other snakes routinely for several months following, to ensure that a recurring breakout wouldn't happen. None of them seemed to be effected by it.