This Disappears When Logged In

Permethrin and Cats??

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by Dragoness, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Permethrin is the active ingredient in Rid, Provent-a-mite and Equate brand bedding spray. All are used to treat reptile mites/snake mites.

Everything I have read about it says it is extremely toxic to cats.

I currently use Natural Chemistry Reptile Relief for mites (Amazon.com: Natural Chemistry Reptile Relief: Home & Garden)

Is the natural chemistry efficient or am I wasting my time?

If I need Permethrin, how can I safely use it in my 2 cat household?

2. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

Use it outside (if possible) and let it air out. If not possible then shut the cats up in a room where they can't get near the fumes, once it airs out they should be fine to come around.

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

One bedroom apartment w/ no balcony. Since it's an aerosol, I can spray most of it outside, and then bring the stuff in after just a few moments. Probably lock the cats in the room just to be safe.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

One of the best herpers I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, swore by Reptile Relief.
    And his recommendation is good enough for me.

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

That's what I use, and The Carpet Python is no longer hanging out in his water dish (that only took 2 days).

I found mites on my milk snake (who is all the way across the room from the carpet python) so I just removed all substrates from cages yesterday, replaced with paper towels, wiped down snakes, and sprayed all cages. Using mats is a big help, just spray the mat before sticking it in the cage...

my BRB was soaking last night, despite having had a consistently high humidity (70-85%) for the last week, because she just shed. I could not find mites on her, or in her water dish. She did have a dented eye, indicating maybe it was a little dry, but I'm still paranoid....

Gotta order more of that stuff - I'm almost out after last night...Think I'll get a gallon. Stuff even says it's safe to spray on feeder rodents to make sure they don't transmit anything. Not sure I would go that far...

At any rate, I sprayed it everywhere, and on just about everything in the herp room last night. Moved my inverts out, and this morning, the cats are vomiting clear liquids everywhere and drooling a bit (they do that when we treat them for fleas - I think maybe it's the same type of chemical). Making sure they have lots of water.

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Reptile relief was the stuff that I used and it really worked well. :)

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

8. ChrisS

ChrisS Elite Member

A good idea about treating reptiles for mites is treat them all at once. Mites can spread so easily, its ridiculous. Even if you don't see any mites on any of your other pets its good to treat them just to make sure.