This Disappears When Logged In

Permanent Enclosure Size

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by HerpFamily, Apr 18, 2014.

1. HerpFamily

HerpFamily Member

It's time to move by banana king into a larger enclosure and I want to set up something that should work permanently (provided it doesn't end up one of those unusually large specimens). I'd like to use a standard glass tank. There seems to be quite a variance in opinion on proper enclosure size for an adult and after much research I'm still not sure what size to go with. Do most experienced keepers consider a 40B to be an appropriate enclosure for an adult banana king?

I have the exact same question about my sinaloan milksnake as well.

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

The minimum length of the enclosure for an adult king should be 36". They are quite active snakes (compared to ball pythons, for instance:)) so he'll certainly appreciate any extra space to move around. I keep my Sinaloan Milk Snake in a 40gal with a floor space of 32'' x 16" and he's doing great.

3. HerpFamily

HerpFamily Member

Thank you. These are the only snakes I have experience with, but I can definitely see that the king is much more active than the milk.

Which would you say is better - a 40B that is 36" x 18" x 16" or a 55 that is 48" x 12" x 21"? I've been thinking I should use a 40B because the footprint is larger, but the more I observe the behavior of the king, it's such a climber that I wonder if sacrificing some of the floor space for the longer tank might be better, if it's going to utilize the extra height as well? I do want to pick something that works for both snakes so I can keep them on a dual stand.

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

It depends on how much room you have:) If your king is an active climber, you can go for the taller cage, and he will certainly appreciate the opportunity to climb. The milk snake won't be harmed by the decreased floor space (esp. if it's not particularly active) and it will probably climb as well (mine does). If you go for the taller cage what you can do is fix a shelf about halfway up the enclosure to provide some extra flat surface for them to use (i.e. make 2 'floors'). But vertical vs long enclosure doesn't really matter as long as they have room to move. Really, you can do either, depending on how much space you have.