This Disappears When Logged In

People Can Be So... STUPID.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by annarawrr, Feb 6, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I got a water snake at first because he eats fish, and for some reason I felt that was less uncomfortable than having a snake that ate rats. After a few months I thought, Hey, fish are animals too so if I'm okay with cutting them up and feeding them to this snake, why can't I feed mice to a corn? And that is how Lola came into my life lol. But at the end of the day, it's still meat, they were all living at some point, cute or not, warm or cold blooded, and some of us need it to live. That's just the way the world works and people need to either realize that or at least chill out about it.

2. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

It's interesting to read all these opinions :D I am nearly vegetarian. I was for 3 years, but got very sick because my body was not able to process vegetable protein. Took me a while to realize how to do it properly ;) Anyways, I only eat a very small amount of animal meat (chicken breast and some fish), but I do love my honey, milk, eggs and cheese. I love it even more knowing it came from animals treated with respect and dignity. When I used to breed rats and mice for feeders, a neighbor called the SPCA on me. I showed them all the animals, including their feeding schedule, out of cage time and that all of them could be handled. She didn't understand why I had so many baby mice in one tank (had a boom of babies 2 weeks prior), so I moved the privacy barriers I used to keep the cats from bothering the pythons. Then she got it ;) Anyways, she was very pleased to see how healthy they were, and thrilled that we used a CO2 chamber to euthy them. When I explained our thoughts on feeders (your pet is only as healthy as the food you feed it), and how I didn't breed any particular pairs for feeders or pets (the best quality personalities were kept as pets or for future breeding projects). They were (and are still) equal in my mind. Regardless of if they came from a feeder-destined litter or a future pet/quality breeder, they were all treated with respect for both the life they live and the life they give. I think if more people understood where their food (meat & animal products) came from, there would be less demand for McD's ;)

3. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Yes! We may keep some mice as pets and some as feeders, that doesn't mean we treat the feeders with less love and care than the pets. It just so happens the feeders serve a different purpose!

4. Kelbassa

Kelbassa Member

She must never of watched the National Geo or Discovery channels. lol