This Disappears When Logged In

People Can Be So... STUPID.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by annarawrr, Feb 6, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I find rodents very cute! When I started keeping them years ago they were companions, not food for other companions, and now I keep them for both reasons. They're very friendly and affectionate!

But regardless, I am aware of their place in the food chain and we all do what we have to do to keep our carnivorous herps alive and well!

2. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

There's this comedian I listen to and he would say she needed to put a helmet on! The mouse trap comparison is pretty great Merlin. I'll have to remember that one. lol

3. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

the less people know about something the less they are able to comprehend about it, just look when everyone thought the earth was flat!

4. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

*shakes head* It's completely true. Did you know I used to be against hunting and fishing before I read some of the replies on this post, then I realized if you hunt and eat the animals you catch it's the same (or even better than) going to the supermarket! So now I've changed my views on this! People need to be more open minded. We don't kill for fun and neither do our pets!

5. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Did she choke on her hamburger when she gasped about animal cruelty?

My instant reply is always "Are you vegetarian" if they say NO, case closed.

6. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

HAHAHA. I highly doubt she's vegetarian. She's one of those holier than thou types though so I'm not surprised she had to put in her two cents even though I wasn't even talking to her!

7. KairiKatastrophy

KairiKatastrophy Active Member

Bet she don't rant about animal rights when she is digggin in to a burger!! :(

8. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

It would be hilarious if she did. "This burger is delicious but a COW HAD TO DIE! IT'S SO INHUMANE! I JUST CAN'T QUIT YOU McDONALD'S!" I'm so glad this thread has helped me come to terms with hunting though because my boyfriend does it and I hated it for the longest time!

9. KairiKatastrophy

KairiKatastrophy Active Member

Hunts? Yeah like I used tobe sad about it too but aminals repopulate so quick. Its fate we take a few :)

10. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I suppose it's true. And he and his family are responsible about it, they only shoot when they know they can kill it instead of just injuring it and having it run off and suffer for a long time. Don't know if I could do it myself but at least now I understand!

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My family was taught never to take a shot they were not 100% certain of. The result is a lot of venison in the freezer, and deer that don't run after being shot. No reason to make them suffer. Most hunters I know are of a similar mind. Take pride in your marksmanship, or practice until you can.

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

and on a side note, even for vegetarians, it is impossibly to live our life without depending on the products, labor, etc of other animals and organisms. How much of our produce was pollinated by insects? Not just bees, either.

We unwittingly consume organisms regularly, even in things we think contain none. FDA publishes a "defect action level" which states the allowances for how many maggots can be in a can of tomato juice, etc. There is a staggering number of products on this list. Not to say that all tomato juice has maggots, just that it is legally allowed to have up to a certain amount of them. When eating produce, you should expect to partake of a certain number of insects or insect parts, because there is simply no feasible way to remove every last one of them.

That said, farmers invest a great deal of time and money killing any pest that threatens their crop - not just invertebrates - vertebrates as well, which has contributed to the decline and extinction of many a species throughout the years.

It's an inescapable fact of life. No matter how much we try to separate ourselves from it, we are still part of this very complex food web, and would soon starve if not for other animals to feed us, whether directly or indirectly.

13. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I agree completely. I think it's up to you if you want to be vegan or vegetarian for health or personal reasons but I think we should all know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to live without depending on animals... And even if we don't depend on them directly, other people are using them to serve us and we have to accept that not all animals are treated well in the hands of others.

14. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Working in a healthfood chain I see these things day in and day out. I'm a hunter as well and believe in using every bit I can from the life I consume. I get cranky at any amount of waste that could be put to use. I'm in the meat dept and we butchers there get all kinds of reactions from people and employees. From open discust that we are allowed to live to the hard core carnavours... But if they have an open mind and can openly discuss the issues I find they we all do get along just fine. Nether one of us tries to convert the other or push our ways on each other, just statement of facts as we understand them and accept that we will never be 100% correct.

Never waste a life, treat the full cycle with respect and understand your part in it... All I can say :)

15. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Long story short: Some of us have to kill to eat, but that doesn't mean we don't love all creatures big and small!

16. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

As a vegan I understand and accept other peoples treatment of animals but I cannot knowingly consume something that lived and died violently. I also realize bugs play a huge role in produce, I eat honey, I don't mind that, the bees are not abused! I also encourage hunting, but won't do it myself.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats the key right there! If a person chooses a lifestyle, then that is fine and I support them in it.
    As long as they don't make it their mission to make ME accept that lifestyle for myself.

18. Afirca

Afirca Active Member

I am a hunter and I love animals, I have fish,dogs and a snake.
    We only shoot old ,sick and hurt animals.
    I don't have a problem with vegans but they have a problem with me, they say I am a murderer and the animal I kill is not only
    killing the animal, but also killing the predator.

19. purplemuffin

purplemuffin Elite Member

I remember once in my childhood there was a kid who brought hunted meat to school. All the kids picked on her and told her she was a horrible person because her parents killed animals. All those kids were eating burgers. It's that kind of separation from our food that is the problem.

I still eat meat, but I refuse to eat something that I could not clean and cut myself. I remember feeling sad when my boyfriend invited me to fishing the first time after I had gotten my own pet fish. But I realized I was planning to go out and eat fish for dinner anyway. So I had to do some serious thinking. And I really cut back a lot on my meat consumption to be honest. I'm not vegetarian, but considering how hard it is to afford meat that comes from places I feel good about when going out with family, I basically am close to one. I am perfectly happy eating a meal consisting of veggies and I am also happy to support local farmers who treat their animals properly.

I have been cutting off fish until I can find places to get them where they are harvested in a more sustainable manner. It's a bit frightening when you look into how it's done.

But all that studying made me appreciate what is done for our rodents for our snakes. They are treated with love and respect, then one day they are put to sleep in the fastest and most humane way possible. Most of our meat doesn't get that treatment! So if I see a woman yell at me for daring to feed a rodent to my pet? And she's willing to eat bacon from pigs that lived in such horrific standards? I will pay her no heed.

I do my research. I try my hardest to ensure that what I eat is ethical and natural. That does not mean I try to feed my dog vegetarian, but it does mean I try to support the farmers who do treat their animals like animals.(Honestly it's pretty hard for them to make a living, most meat eaters don't care, and most people who care aren't meat eaters, so the only meat places that stay in business continue to be the bad ones)

I have no issue with hunting if the animal is treated with respect(and not endangered or anything) and I know that most hunted meat is healthier than some of the weird meat-fed cows we got here in mass production anyway.

A lot of hunting is necessary--it shouldn't be, but we dumb humans killed off most of the predators that killed animals like deer(because they could also kill animals like dogs cats and children), that leads to a big problem when it starts to get to the point of over population.

I know some people kill for sport. People want to banish hunting for sport, but to be honest, it's really hard to control why people want to go out. As long as the animal is treated properly, disposed of quickly, and cleaned and the body is used, then that's okay with me, even if all they were after was the horns--just make sure the meat goes somewhere and isn't wasted. Responsibility and all that.

Honestly none of this self awareness would have been found(at least not yet) if it wasn't for my snakes. Watching them consume their food--which was a WHOLE RAT...and realizing it was just meat, the same as I would eat. It made me think, and I was able to come to the conclusion on my own.

I know not everyone is quite able to get to that point just yet. It was hard for me to get here, it was a lot of internal struggle to really figure out what I wanted in my life and what I wanted in what I ate. Then all the struggle of having to research--they definitely don't make it easy on you to figure out where everything comes from. So I don't expect others to feel the same way. That means there are people who are okay with mcdonalds, but not okay with hunted meat, because mcdonalds is a burger, but hunted meat was a DEER! Childish logic, but it's what people cling to. It helps them feel better about what they are eating, while you can still see them struggle over the idea of eating something alive.

Those same people are the ones who will struggle over the idea of a rodent being eaten. Cute and fuzzy..They just forget their meals were cute and fuzzy as well.. or they try hard to not remember.

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

we put everything to use from the deer that we can. My family has a strong native American heritage - my mom brain tans hides, and boils the hooves for glue, and makes leather. Much of it is used for teaching kids in local school districts about the Ojibwe tribe that was once endemic to Michigan, where we live. I collect many of the bones, and they are used for art projects (I am endeavoring to learn antler scrimshaw!). The meat, of course is eaten. Me and my mother even fight over the hearts (favored delicacy) but I generally do not have to compete for the livers, or share them, which is nice. My brother keeps many of the tails for his trophies (he generally doesn't shoot deer for their antlers, but when he does, he gives them to me for crafts). Tails, and dried ears/feet make good, natural dog and cat chews/toys.