This Disappears When Logged In

Peach Throat Enclosure Progress

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by krimsonkat, Dec 9, 2014.

1. krimsonkat

krimsonkat New Member

Hey guys!

I finally got started on Artemis's new tank a couple weeks ago. I wanted to start a good while back, but unfortunately I have neither the tools nor the experience to do a good job on my own, (as evidenced by her current abode originally built for my cwd pair,) so I was stuck waiting on the whim of my parents to give me a hand.

I was originally planning on a 4' x 4' x 6' (lwh), but since I decided to go all fancy and build a waterfall and three-stage filter system, the height got increased a little, so I think it's closer to 7' high now.

I'm building in 3 pieces, to allow for the tank to be broken down and easily transported through doors when needed. (I'm in an apartment now, but I already have the desire to get my own place in the next few years, so that style seemed wise.) The top is in two pieces, split vertically, (4x2X4.) The bottom is a single, short piece, (4x4x~3.)

I'm using a sink as the water dish, will be making a three stage filter in a bucket with a pump at the bottom. Unfortunately, I think I underestimated with the 400gph, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

The back half of the top is being covered with carved polystyrene rock wall and ledges. This will be coated in mortar and Shields All, as inspired by Lizard Landscapes. The waterfall itself will have a coating of aquarium silicone everywhere the water will be constantly touching.

Here's what I've got so far! Still need to finish up the waterfall, but everything else is pretty much completely carved :)

For a more complete set of pictures, here's an imgur album I'm keeping with all pictures I've taken: Tank Building - Imgur

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Looks like lots of fun. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
    I would put a lot of focus and thought into the easiest way to keep the waterfall clean as they buildup with bacteria if not well looked after. I know from experience they are a bugger to clean.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, is this a temporary enclosure for a hatchling/juvenile, as the species can get to 4 feet? I do like the design itself, pity it wasn`t longer (6 feet+).