This Disappears When Logged In

Pea Gravel as Substrate

Discussion in 'Product Questions' started by FervidBrutality, Dec 14, 2010.

1. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

When I had leopard geckos, I used pea gravel. It's something they never tried to eat or lick - even when chasing crickets.
    The calcium sand gives them a reason to try to consume it, which can lead to impaction - even if it's just an accident.
    You could just use paper towels because it's by far the easiest for lizards like beardies who don't necessarily burrow. Not to mention easy to clean/replace :p
    I find pea gravel makes a great all-around substrate for beardies and certain geckos. It's very cheap, too. And as an added bonus: it looks great.

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Re: Sand Substrate

I think that any particulate type of substrate will be a breeding ground for bacteria and also a place for crickets to hide. Paper towel, or slate/tile is easy to clean.

3. FervidBrutality

FervidBrutality Elite Member

Just replace it every month or so and it'll do fine. Some people may not want to have to deal with that effort though. And I always made sure the crickets stayed in view so they wouldn't hide and breed or die. If they didn't chase one, I took it right back out. I don't leave food in enclosures. :p

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Pea gravel is not a good substrate. When people use alternative substrates it is typically so they can remove problems with conventional substrates. Pea gravel does the opposite. It introduces a foreign substrate which can be a problem with impaction.

I know you said you had no issues with it, but who is to say no one else will? It is one thing to use a foreign substrate to remove a danger. It is another thing completely to introduce a foreign substrate that does carry risk.

Pea gravel can come in smooth and rough edged. We typically use it for drainage or as a substrate bedding for walkways/patios. (I work in construction.) It isn't something I would suggest anyone use as a substrate for their reptile. It is 100% unnatural and carries impaction risks.