This Disappears When Logged In

Parents and Herps-whats the Big Deal? =)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beardie, Apr 20, 2009.

?

Do you have a parent/spouse afraid of Herps?

1. Yes, I do have a parent/spouse like this.

71.4%
  2. No, I do not have a parent/spouse like this.

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

bet that would change the sec you said I want to get one that turns into one like that. My guess it was a Burmese python not an andaconda.

2. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

I think you're right. But the weird thing is, that one was twenty feet and they had one that was the EXACT same species and age and wasn't even half the size! The owner said that how much the amount of food you give a snake makes a Big difference!

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

That's true. I have a 12+ foot burmese python and when I got him he was about 10 feet long and weighed about 25 pounds. That was almost 3 years ago and now he is about 75 pounds. The difference? When I got him, he was eating xl rats, I switched him over to f/t medium and now large soon to be xl rabbits. He is roughly 6 years old now and because he was half starved when I got him, he may not get much longer, but I remain hopeful that he will reach at least 15 feet and about 125 pounds. He is a great show snake and really seems to enjoy meeting new people though.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It also may be something in the snakes make up. I remember reading an article regarding 2 burmese from the same litter, fed the same foods on the same scedule and one was half the size of the other.
    That's why we always tell people who ask, that you can't tell a snake's ages by size.

5. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

That's true Merlin. In that situation, would it be like a leo gecko who is HET for having a giant trait, or would it be something completely different?

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That could also apply.
    However.
    These were just run of the mill regular burmese, not the result of a breeding project for morphs.

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

My father is 68 years old and still sees snake owners as satan worshippers!
    What a long road we've travelled!

8. Aalamil

Aalamil Elite Member

My parents never entered my room from 12 to 18 years old due to 27 snakes. I only have 1 now and my spouse is terrified of it, although she's getting better, I actually got her to pet it the other day.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have a co-worker who thinks the same, and my grandma is always telling me to watch out because my man-eating python might wrap around my neck while I'm sleeping. (you know, the ball python, that lives in a locking cage!)

10. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

haha that is what my mom said to try and convince me not to get a snake.:D, it didn't work.:)

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

My luck mine would pick the lock and wrap around my neck. hehe.

12. teiryklav94

teiryklav94 Well-Known Member

my dad hates snakes, but after some begging he let me go for a pacific boa, AT SCHOOL
    at least he's ok with lizards :)

13. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

maybe I was lucky. but there's never been any worry about reptiles in this family as far as i know.

my mom caught frogs etc when she was a kid and passed the reptile love down to me :p

14. Reptoid

Reptoid Elite Member

It took me 8 years of convincing (I was 8 when I got my first Leo) for me to get my first reptile. Now that I've convinced my Mom to let me keep lizards I've been trying to convince her to let me get a snake but I don't think that's going to work. I know I turn 18 here in about 3 months, but I'll still be living with my parents as I can not afford an apartment...

15. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I do but it is my mom:(she won't get me one, but my dad loves animals:):p and he doesn't have any problem with it:)

16. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

I am so happy! About 5 years of convincing and I'm getting a Leo! We are setting up the cage today and picking her up tomorrow! I'm still thinking of a name. Perhaps Darby? I'm sure I'll think of something:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.