This Disappears When Logged In

Parents and Herps-whats the Big Deal? =)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beardie, Apr 20, 2009.

?

Do you have a parent/spouse afraid of Herps?

1. Yes, I do have a parent/spouse like this.

71.4%
  2. No, I do not have a parent/spouse like this.

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Hehe, my mom is warming up to kermit, She wasn't ever against me getting it except because of money issues that i have never had a problem with I will get things for my Kerm before me which she now admits. The only pet she had a problem with was when I got my first rats, then she loved them as much as I did. She thought it was soooooo cool she could call my rat from the other room and she would run to her.

ALL of my family tell everyone they know about how i have an iguana and it is over 3.5 feet long to everyone they know, so I get told about how my aunts coworker has an iguana, and my moms coworkers cousin used to have an iguana.

And since I have had lots of animals and am really interested in them my roommates think I know everything about every animal on earth.... I don't... at all. hehe.

2. ShAn3

ShAn3 Elite Member

Nope, my family loves herps. Dad likes the pythons, Mum the frogs and my bro the pythons too. So yer I'm all good here. Just need money that's all lol. A Lot of people I know are petrified of snakes. A girl in my Math starts crying just seeing a picture of one (good fun :D) I used to be afraid of Vens but now I turned my fear into fascination.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I must say, my mom and all my friends think my frogs are way cool, and where my Inlaws don't' really understand it, they think my enclosures are fun. My mother in law thinks all animals are "yuck" so there is no pleasing her.

4. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

I honestly can't remember anyone in my immediate family that was ever afraid of any reptile! I can remember my Great Grandmother, (she passed in 1960), working out in the yard with my Grandmother, raking, planting, cleaning up, etc. She found a green garden snake and she picked it up and brought it into me! My Mother wasn't afraid of snakes. She could pick up and hold them without prodding. She didn't like spiders though.

All of the children find all kinds of bugs, insects, animals fascinating and will study them for hours. Connor found a trail of ants once and wanted to direct them into the house to keep as pets! "Look Daddy, they are crawling on my hand! They like me!"

(ON another note, I do remember saying 'no' to my Great Grandmother once, and only once! That dishrag came off her shoulder so fast and was up against the side of my head in a split second! That was the first and last time I ever said no or disagreed with her for any reason!!!)

5. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I have a parent who has only gotten me a fury animal because she doesn't like shipping animals...and the only pet store in town got shut down

6. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Haha! Yeah somewhere! ;)

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I told my boyfriend I would get rid of him for the ig if it came to that. He didn't like it but later gave kermit some treats I think to try to win her over. Right now if kermit had to choose between us I am hoping she would choose me.

8. clowangel

clowangel Member

Yes. My mother doesn't really like any animal though. She hates them, doesn't really fear them unless they're reptilian and snake-like in appearance, but hates the rest of them. I've had dogs, birds, small rodents, turtles, fish, but no large reptiles because they're too "snake-like". She doesn't approve of my fascination with animals, but she knows there's nothing she could really do about it.

My father is fine with most animals. He used to go out into the mountains and catch snakes for fun...so yeah, that's one fearless man. He's been bitten, squeezed, and struck. xD He also likes non-reptilian animals like birds and dogs, but he hates cats because when he was a kid, a neighbor's cat ate his pet bird...which he chased down for revenge. -_-;

My sister likes most animals except bugs and arachnids. Not sure how she feels about reptiles.

The rest of my family? Dislikes reptiles to the extreme. *shakes head* So to the rest of them, I'm the abnormal one. But they deal with me and my pets because I'm also their pride and joy.

9. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

My mom, although terrified of most reptiles, is pretty understanding. My dad doesn't like them at all. I want a snake sooooo bad, but I can't have one because of him. Gotta love em (parents) though.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My boyfriend and I have much the same understanding. Before we ever even started dating, I made sure he understood that my pets were a prior obligation that had precedence over him. If I had to choose between him and them, I'd get rid of him.

11. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

And I would never be able to part from my pet's over any would-be girlfriend. They are my kids! Once You know the experience of raising a baby to an adult, You're committed! There's no going back! And when you have a loss, It hurts like ****! With a capital H!

12. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

when my baby boa died in 2007 of congenital defects at age of less than 3 months, I was still pretty heartbroken. I had tried everything, been to two vets in two different states, I even tried acupuncture... No luck, he was born without a functional intestine. Nothing can fix that.

Yeah, once you have them, they're family. I wish everyone understood that, and everyone felt that way. If my apartments ever changed their mind about letting us have the herps, I'd cancel my lease. No questions asked.

13. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Yep - my hubby won't let me have a snake in the house! :mad:

I have my Gecko's and Tree Frogs, which he doesn't mind - but thinks I'm crazy to want. And I almost got 'grounded' when I accidentally mentioned I was considering a third:eek:

I doubt I'll be able to convince him to relinquish on the snake ban though:(. I get my way on most things, so I really shouldn't complain... (but I will anyway:D)

14. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

:p Michael refers to the geckos and tomato as "fish bait" but guess who brought in a couple of dozen worms, for Krim, in from the compost heap?!;) And, who came in to tell me, "India is out of her enclosure somewhere- the lid was left off!" She was working on the computer with me of course, didn't think to leave a note!! Guess who pays the bills including lamps and feeder insects? Yeah he is tough and isn't at all attached!:D

15. Reptoid

Reptoid Elite Member

My mom was dead set against me getting a reptile but eventually I got a leopard gecko and that a while ago. She seems however, to be a bit more stubborn about snakes, I might be able to change her mind but who knows.

16. agama3000

agama3000 Elite Member

I have asked but it is the same answer NO
    she is not afraid she just won't get me one:mad::mad::mad:

17. Flint

Flint Elite Member

My mom wouldn't even let me get an adorable cuddly chinchilla! So I was telling my dad about this, and he loves animals, especially snakes, so he let me get my Flint and keep him at the Studio. But of course my step-mom is deathly afraid of EVERYTHING. She screams when I even mention looking at his shed skin... And there's absolutely NO way they'll ever let me start a feeder roach colony for my future ackie... Oh well. Just gotta move out sooner :p

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

haha. You should see Todd standing outside of Henry's tank... watching. Then he'll comment on something cute the Whites are doing, or "Liz! Look at the tadpoles!"

:D

19. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

As for getting rid of kermit over my boyfriend or the other way around, I told my boyfriend I would get rid of whom ever made me choose and since Kermie can't talk it's a good chase kermit will stay. Which is fine with the Boyfriend I had kermit before him and he loves kermit about 1/2 of what I do but that is ok, he was raised to not like animals much except birds. So he is scared of a lot of them.

I talked to him last night and we decided that if I wait until after college I can get another pet when we have our own place which is fine by me, I don't need another pet now anyway but I was really worried he wouldn't ever want another pet and I don't know if I could live like that.

20. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

I've got to say, my dad is loosening up. Last week we went to this reptile specialized pet store and they had a HUMUNGUS 20 feet long yellow anaconda (don't know the actual species) that was as wide as a football! He just stared and kept saying things like, "That snake is cool!" :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.