This Disappears When Logged In

Parents and Herps-whats the Big Deal? =)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Beardie, Apr 20, 2009.

?

Do you have a parent/spouse afraid of Herps?

1. Yes, I do have a parent/spouse like this.

71.4%
  2. No, I do not have a parent/spouse like this.

28.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

Hello everybody! It's me again!

This is just my little rant! I don't know if any of you out there that still live with their parents have encountered this problem or not but I don't know why parents are so afraid (so to say) of reptiles! My dad freaks out whenever he sees a reptile in the pet stores! :rolleyes: I consider myself lucky because my mom is finally convincing my dad into getting a Leo! ;) Do any of you have parents/spouses like this?

Well, my rant is over! :D

See you later

~Beardie~ ;)

2. angrykitten

angrykitten Elite Member

My husband was dead against getting a snake, even though all I wanted was a ball python. He told me that I was putting our child (3 and half year old)'s life and the one of our three cats at risk. However I am far too stubborn to give up on something I really have my mind set on and I think my husband knew that. I joined the forum, got all the information I could, I bought a book on the subject (ball pythons) and borrowed about 15 books on snakes and reptiles at the Library. I even got books appropriate for my son's age, so he could be informed that also snakes can be our friends.
    We got Sibilla (a baby ball python) a month and a half ago: she is very much loved by me, very much liked by my son and I would include my husband too. Actually my husband totally freaks out when I handle Sibilla and the cats are around because he is scared that they would just jump on Sibilla and tear her apart with their claws in front of our eyes. To think that I am supposed to be the "drama queen" of the house...

3. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

LOL My mother when she visits refuses to even touch the lizards. However she is the one who brought home the turtle my 4 years old refuses to give up. So what is the difference between a touching a turtle compared to a iguana?

4. Piano Man

Piano Man Elite Member

My mom was set against me and my dad getting a snake, it took some time, but we finally got our red tail boa. She freaks out whenever I hold the snake around the house, but she is starting to warm up to it a little now.:)

5. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

My dad likes all animals but doesn't 100% trust my iguana, and my mom is a little freaked by the iguana and doesn't like snakes. My roommates are all kind of afraid of my ig, and most are of my roommates snake.

Not that I can really blame them. Kermit is one big lizard, and that tail can scare pretty well, and the teeth don't look exactly friendly. But they all are willing to feed Kerm when I am out of town, they just wait until she is not sitting next to the food dish.

I haven't seen anyone be that bold with my iguana actually which is nice, It is the type of pet that they ask before they touch, and don't try to go in the cage by themselves.

When I think people should ask if they can pet your dog, or cat, or anything else.

My parents don't have any issues with smaller lizards though or tiny snakes. They don't look like they could give you a black eye and eat your hand.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

You forgot to ad children! My house is full of reptiles and my daughter is afraid of all of them!:p

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It is loooooooong long ago that I lived with MY parents but my mother was and IS deathly afraid of snakes. In her mind there is no such thing as a harmless snake,...
    Because they will all make her run into something!:rolleyes:
    And my first wife was even worse! She would send our 6 year old out in the yard to toss a toad over the fence before she would come outside!:confused:
    Fortunately my current wife loves all animals as much as I do.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that it is only within the last few years that keeping reptile pets has moved into the mainstream. Before that reptiles were something to be avoided or even destroyed.
    And the only people who would keep such a pet were weird!

8. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

I love our pets; I have three sons who are gentle, loving, and knowledgable. My husband likes outdoor herps and amphibians, but is fascinated by our fascination with the pets, (he doesn't get the need for ownership). We all attend the reptile shows.

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

[​IMG]

Are you calling us weird![​IMG]:p

10. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

So Merlin got rid of the wife, kept the reptiles, and found a sensible, intelligent companion? Hmmm there is a lesson in this I am sure!:)

11. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

My husband is TERRIFIED of snakes. I'm about to be a mom and I'm trying to bring in a snake as a pet, because I don't want my child to be afraid of them like he is. He learned it from his mom and I'm sure its a learned trait.

12. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I have been married for 21 years but my mother is terrified of snakes. My wife was at first until I started to teach her a little bit about reptiles. Now she is ALMOST as big a snake lover as I am. She still does not like to handle the burms though. I have a 2 year old son who is totally in love with all animals and calls all of the snakes babies. He can't understand why they don't come when he calls them. Incidentally I had the snakes before we had the child so there was no question that he would be exposed to the slithery family members just the same as the "cute and furry" ones.

13. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

This is SUCH a misconception. A Ball would never find a 3 year old child as a food item, and I don't even think they would the cats, unless it was a kitten. People have such false fears of snakes. I'm glad you are able to set him with a better reality! Can you come to my house and educate MY husband?? :D

14. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

*raises hand* I is weird LOL
    My family always talks about me and my "critters" :rolleyes:

15. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

hehe My boyfriend says he's not afraid of the reptiles in the house, but if you even make a move to open the snakes cage he gets freaked out, so when he mentions the "M" word ... ahem <marriage> eeek... I gently remind him that the reptiles and I are a package deal and hopefully he plans on building me a reptile room
    LOL gets his mind right off the big word LOL--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *raises hand* I is weird LOL
    My family always talks about me and my "critters"

LOL my BF calls me Ellie Mae and her critters from the Beverly Hillbillies LOL

16. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I'm right there next to you! I can't even discuss my kritters at thanksgiving dinner!
    I'm 43 years old and my parents can somewhat accept that I some "Lizard" pets. If they knew I kept 3 snakes, They would be SURE I was in league with SATAN!!! Or, They would think that I've lost my mind!

17. bdoink

bdoink Elite Member

I wouldn't say my mom is terrified, but she has no desire to hold any of the snakes. She has only seen one of the five though. I surprised her one night with the crested gecko and she was even afraid of her! I kind of made her hold her and she started warming up to it a bit. I'm convinced it will always be a matter of "well one of these days I'll come over and see them all"
    (my mom has only been in my apartment once in like 3 years)

18. nicole

nicole Elite Member

My hubby is afraid of snakes. He is getting better though. He was quite fond of my Andrew ( ball python), then he found a new home. He absolutely does not like my Wing and Prayer ( large red tails , with a serious attitude problem).

He never ever helped me with the larger snakes when I took the ( burms and such). The most he would do is stand at the shop door and watch for safety when I went into the cages to do maintenance, lol.

The rest of my family thinks I am a nut, but that's okay, I like my animals better than I like most of my family, lol.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

My mom was from a line of ophidiophobes, and when I moved out and got my first Python, and then had to move back, I called her and asked if I could bring my python with me. She told me she'd think on it. My response "I'll turn myself out on the street homeless before I give her up."

That was the deal maker. She told me I could. At first, there were strict rules, like I couldn't take the snake out of my room except when I was taking it out of the house for fresh air, vet visits, etc.

By the time I moved out, she was regularly borrowing my python (a Ball) to help with her hot flashes - as she saw it they were mutually beneficial - she gets to cool off, Sinthia gets to warm up, everyone wins, and they would bond over a steamy cup of coffee.

Now, she calls at least once a month and asks how her "grandsnake" is doing.

20. Fern

Fern Well-Known Member

Yes of course. "Oh you can't get a snake it will get out to easily" Or leopard geckos they can climb glass even though they can't" blah blah blah you already have enough pets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.