This Disappears When Logged In

Parasites? Help!

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by NowAndNever91, Apr 24, 2010.

1. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

True, I would need a magnifying glass! Try the soaking with the wood etc, then if you see anything in the water, get back to me...

2. LLoydene

LLoydene Elite Member

It is proven to work, as I have used it very succesfully with my young Iguana when I first brought her home. Didn't have to put her in another cage or anything and it only took one treatment to rid me of them.

3. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

Could they possibly be baby crickets? I had some in my enclosure once and they were so tiny and kind of a light brown color. Just to be on the safe side, you should do as everyone above me tells you to do. I just thought I would through that out there.

4. NowAndNever91

NowAndNever91 Elite Member

Okay, I will get back to you soon, I've been looking around my CWDs enclosure and I haven't came across any mites yet (or seen any on him yet). I'm going to treat his cage too, just incase.
    I'm going out today to buy that Nix stuff, although it will be a little embarrising lol :( I'll do whatever I have to do to rid them of the parasite, thanks for all the help everyone!

I will keep you updated on what I find Murrindindi, thanks for helping me as much as you have :)

5. NowAndNever91

I guess it's possible, but I seen the little things before I started buying crickets (I just started buying crickets 3-4 days ago) and noticed a mite 2 days before.
    I'm thinking that if they are mites that my bearded dragon had them before I purchased her, they came in with the mealworms I've been buying (if that's possible), or they were on/in the wood decor that I bought the day I got her.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

You`re most welcome to the advise, keep us all informed, and good luck. (Don`t be embarrassed, it can happen to anyone anytime, the good thing is, if it IS mites, you`ve taken action )!!

7. NowAndNever91

Okay, so last night I put Franklin (CWD) in the bath tub with luke warm water, then put Tilly (Bearded Dragon) in the sink with very little luke warm water.
    I let them sit in there for a minute, then took a q-tip and rubbed down all the spots mites ussually stay in. Even though nothing appeared to be on either one of them, I boiled, baked, soaked, and sprayed Rid (pretty much the same as Nix) solution in her tank and let it sit over night.
    Tilly is in her 10 gal. tank right now with paper towels as substrate, so far I don't see anything (crossing fingers lol)!
    The bad thing is that if Franklin has this also, I have to wait until tomorrow to empty out my 50 gal. and to put my fish in the extra 10 gal. I have. It sounds like a very long process, but I think it will be worth it just to make sure that all my animals are healthy and happy. :)

Will a 50 gal. be okay for an almost full grown, male CWD? Of coarse it's only for a couple of days so I can clean his tank real good.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, it`s good you got the treatment, it really doesn`t matter if it turns out they aren`t mites, at least you`ll have nice clean enclosures! Seriously, the CWD should be fine for a couple of days in the smaller tank, just `til you treat the other, (he may be a little stressed from the move), but as you say, it will be worth it in the end. Keep us all updated, and pics when you can, please!

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ok lets slow down. First off mites do NOT look like termite larvae!
    They are tiny arachnids resembling tiny ticks more than anything, about the size of a fleck of pepper.
    If you are not finding anything on the animal itself and its just something crawling on the logs I seriously doubt it's mites.
    And a reptile mite is a reptile mite, whether its on a snake or a lizard. Its still the same critter.
    And do not use dog flea prducts on reptiles.

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-diseases/snake-mite-identification-removal.html

10. NowAndNever91

They may have not been lizard mites, although they were the size of a fleck of pepper, but they are gone and I'm glad for that!
    I read from a website not to use flea products on the lizards, but to use it in their cages and to let it air out. Instead of doing that, I just used Rid (similar to Nix) mixed in a solution of water and sprayed it in their cages.

I've been pretty busy with draining my 50 gal. and cleaning everything!
    The good thing is whatever it was that I seen in Tillys tank is gone!
    I'll post pics of Franklin and Tilly as soon as the pics get done loading into my computer :)

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`m pleased they`re gone, whatever they were.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Indeed! Getting rid of mites is a chore!

13. Herpcrazy

Herpcrazy Member

If you can afford it I would suggest using Sterilte containers as "hospital" containters thats what we used for when we treated mites and when I do full tank sterilization for all our creatures.

14. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Well, It sure does sound like you had a busy week with all that cleaning. I'm positive that it was well worth all the time and effort that you put into it. Glad to hear all is well. :)
    Michele

15. NowAndNever91

It really was a busy week! lol
    Also, those "things" are still gone :D

I said that I would put pics up when I could, this is a few pics of my baby beardy, Tilly.

[​IMG]
    Here is another, these are pics I took after her first shed since I've had her.

[​IMG]

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Too Cute, she so small. Glad to hear they haven't come back:D
    Michele