This Disappears When Logged In

Parasite on My Turtle!!!

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Lollipopgecko, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Lollipopgecko

Lollipopgecko Well-Known Member

My turtle has a parasite on his chin please help!!!! image.jpg Sorry, it's kind of hard to see. By the way I'm new here.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can't see it, it's the little, half-transparent thing on his chin.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

are you sure its a parasite and not shedding skin?

3. Lollipopgecko

I'm pretty sure it's a parasite because when it first showed up it was bright pink and it showed up a few days after I fed him some feeder minnows. I didn't know that that the feeder fish carried parasites at the time.

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think this is going to require a vet.
    I know the pet stores sell these antiparsitic tablets that you can use in fish tanks in order to kill several species of parasites and they do seem to work well and I have used them before BUT they are really harsh on fish and killed almost half my tank. Killed the parasites too so I thought it was worth it to have healthy breeders but I don't know what it will do to a turtle. I haven't ever had a parasite issue with my turtles before.

5. Lollipopgecko

Thanks, I really hope that he'll be ok.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

7. Lollipopgecko

It's fine, no vet needed. I identified the parasite and looked up how to get rid of it. It's a leech.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ah and how did you get rid of it?

9. Lollipopgecko

Just put salt on it without getting any on the turtle, let it sit a few minutes, and pull it off with tweezers.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Huh good to know.

I am guessing the turtle didnt like the process too much?

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A little salt on it won't hurt the turtle. The same technique is used to get leeches off of humans.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

No but holdign a turtle down and getting access to his chin without withdrawing into his shell must have been entertaining.

13. Lollipopgecko

No, and it was really hard getting it off because he kept biting at the tweezers. Is there any way to "tame" turtles (make them to not bite and scratch you when handling)? Because he looks so sweet and friendly when he is in his aquarium but when you take him out, he's a monster!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha yeah it was really "entertaining"!

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Unfortunately no. Turtles are not a species of reptile that is meant to be handled and most are vicious little beasts that wont even tolerate human presence. You can try hand feeding to get the turtle to associate you with food but this just got my fingers bitten. You could tong feed though if all you wantto do is train your turtle to come to the surface when your near. However getting them to calm down when being held? Never seen it happen. They just dont feel safe when they are flying through the air and who can blame them since their number one predator is birds?

15. Lollipopgecko

Yeah, that's what I expected to hear. I guess it's not that big of a deal anyways. Sometimes I hand feed him orange slices but not very often because fruit isn't natural for them. He can just be a pet to watch and look at, which I'm fine with. Plus I already have a tame pet that enjoys handling (my username).