This Disappears When Logged In

Pan's Adventure (long Post, but Fun Pics)

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Phantasmagoria, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria Elite Member

I took my Mississipi Map turtle in to work at the life lab yesterday because I had wanted someone to look at his shell. my boss thinks that it is just discoloration but said for me to bring him in when the vet comes to check out all the animals.

anyway I went in and filled up his little carrier with enough water and gave him a cricket before having to leave for class while he tried to figure out what was walking on his head and how he could eat it. after class I worked at the life lab for a while, and decided to put him in a bigger tank. I first tried a tank with 3 turtles, all different species and sizes. he decided the red eared slider was his new friend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I thought pan might terrorize the poor thing and there wasnt that much room in that tank so I put him in the kiddie pool with two male and two female red eared sliders. bad idea. I came in from the back with the beardie's salad to see pan in one of the male's face like "oh hi, your my friend now??" and the male tried snapping at him.

third time is a charm though, I placed him in with the soft-shelled turtle, who is always under the sand in his tank, and for most of the time the two stayed oblivious to eachother. once I saw the soft-shelled turtle stick his head up for air, but went right back under the sand.
    [​IMG]
    but thats not all, this turtle had a long day. I forgot that I had ceramics after work, but I couldnt leave pan in the car, so he got to visit class. I let him out for a while, and he kept trying to go where he is not supposed to, like towards my mom's cake, but he seemed to have fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    afterwards I think he was happy to go back to his own tank. the first thing he did was go to the filter where the water comes out and sat there looking at me like "this is my filter, and my tank"

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Hahaha, I like the big shell on him.

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I also like the big shell! That is too funny!

4. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

nice pics, how old are they?

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

cute Mississippi map. What's the problem with his shell you were mentioning? It may or may not be something I have come across with mine in our 12 years together.

6. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

it does look a little pale though does his eyes alwase look a little lazy

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mississippi Maps have light peach-colored eyes, they are very pretty.

8. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

oh cause they looked very lazy to me

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

lazy eyes? i guess I don't see it.

Phantasmagoria: do you use hard water in his aquarium? or do you live in an area with really hard water?

10. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

yea like the eyes look closed a little bit. and hard water?

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

yeah: hard water or softened water, can sometimes leave mineral deposits on a turtle's shell, because they are always entering and leaving the water. Kind of like the white marks on the inside of a dried-up aquarium. It takes quite a bit to be noticeable.

12. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

hmmm what is tap water them?

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

that will vary by region. Some people use water softeners, which use salt to filter the water, some people live in areas where the water has a very high mineral content. Softened water will remove many of the minerals in it, but leave a trace of salt instead.

14. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

thats good to know..

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

most of the stuff is pretty harmless either way, but if the water is really hard, it can build up on a turtle's shell the same way it would on an aquarium wall. It just looks whitish, and I'm not sure it's even harmful to the turtle.

16. danomite7

danomite7 Banned User

ohh my turtle had that and i just cleaned the shell off then its good to go.

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

it usually comes off when they shed the scutes. I only ever clean mine if he cultivates too much algae, or if I see spots that need examining. If everything is running smoothly., he gets cleaned every second month or so.

18. Phantasmagoria

Phantasmagoria Elite Member

his eyes usually look like that, and he is far from lazy.he's the most sociable and active turtle I know. he will even let me pet his head now.
    I use tap water for him, and I live in ohio, Im not sure how hard or soft the water is here. when I first got him his owner said he was about 6, and I never got him checked out. there is a bit of discoloration on the bottom of his shell and some small dark spots. he is shedding right now, so his shell is a bit lighter.
    the vet is coming in january to the life lab, and I will have him check Pan out.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I only know my turtle is 12 because i bought him when he was a hatchling, and have had him ever since.

Watch the dark spots, sometime shell rot starts out like that. Maps also have some naturally dark spots along their vertebral scutes, and on the plastron. Are the spots textured in the least? or are they just as hard and smooth as the surrounding shell?

You know you have hard water if your dishwasher leaves watermarks on your glasses. I use tap water for my turtle too, and he doesn't seem to mind. Never done him any harm.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can contact your local water dept and get a run down of the water hardness, pH, and all sorts of goodies!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.