This Disappears When Logged In

Paisley's Vet Trip!

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by GoldDust, Feb 13, 2012.

1. GoldDust

GoldDust Well-Known Member

So some of you know that my red-tail, Paisley, had a vet appointment today. I just thought I'd update everyone.

The appointment went pretty well, the vet was nice and very knowledgeable. She gave me a care sheet right up front, which to me is a good sign. She is 21 inches, and a bit underweight still but the vet saw the pictures of when I first got her and said I'm doing a good job with her. :) I got some triple antibiotic ointment for her vent, because the vet said it looked mostly like an injury -- most likely from a rough popping -- that was healing up and was a bit scabbed. (Hence what the red, irritated look was at first.) She did say that Paisley's eyes, the crosses, were noticeably off-center and and that she had a slow reaction time. She believes that Paisley may be a bit mentally slow, which would really fill in a lot of gaps for me, but says she wants to do a fecal (I couldn't get a sample for the appointment) and make sure it's nothing internal. Since she is still a bit underweight and she's pretty small, we're going to wait to do bloodwork but it will be done. She has another appointment in three weeks to check her progress and see if we can proceed with bloodwork, and they want me to drop off a fecal as soon as I can.

She was so good through the whole thing, I was very impressed with her. :)
    And because I hear you guys like pictures...

28a7sz7.png

here's one of her cuddled up in a towel by the heat pack. (from my cell, sorry for low quality.)

I'm happy, though, because the vet said I was doing a good job with her (based on the pictures of the day I got her) and that I clearly loved her. It makes me happy when someone can see how much I love my animals.

Attached Files:

2. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Nice to hear she is getting better under your care. Great job

3. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Glad the vet was nice an knowledgeable! I hope when you are able to get a fecal, everything comes back A-Ok

4. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Always good to hear a little reptile is making a come back! :) She's pretty! Keep the updates on her care coming so we can follow along :)

5. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm glad the visit went well, and I'm glad you found a good vet! Keep up the good work with her, I feel like most boas(especially "designer boas") are a little inbred and a little slower.

6. GoldDust

Thanks guys! :) She's the sweetest little thing, I love her so much. It's hard not to, she is a crowd-winner. hehe.
    I hope this turns to be all uphill from here!

mshrmheadcharge, yeah, that's what the vet said. She said that a lot of times, when people breed purely for colors and designer colors especially, they don't mind that the lines get close and in some instances they get too close. Defects, such as slow mental functioning, are a result of that.

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad to hear that Paisley had a great vet visit! I was thinking about her all weekend, so I did shed a few tears of joy, that she is going to be fine. I think she was meant to be with you, even more so with her possible mental issues, she deserves extra special car. Thanks for the update, Sounds like a wonderful vet :D

8. GoldDust

Aw, it means a lot to me that you were thinking about her! I was so nervous this morning, I felt sick. And then at one point, the vet said, "You know, normally, this is the point where we're blunt with people. As in, do we think the reptile will or will not make it, I mean." And I swear I almost started tearing up, and then she said, "Thankfully for her, she landed up somewhere wonderful so in her case I think she's going to have no problem bouncing back."
    And I just felt this ultimate feeling of happiness, and it may sound silly, but if anything I feel incredibly blessed that somehow such a wonderful girl ended up with me. She's given me so much already, so I only hope I can give it back and look forward to many more years with her.

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

It sounds like a perfect match! You are both getting so much from being together! Congratulations! :)