This Disappears When Logged In

Painting a Mural on Enclosure Wall- Paint Advice

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by gpolkin, Jan 18, 2013.

1. gpolkin

gpolkin Well-Known Member

I am hoping to hire one of my teenaged daughters artistically inclined classmates to take a crack at painted a bamboo/jungle theme on the side and back walls of the water dragon enclosure I am building. I painted a base coat of zero voc latex and now want to paint some bamboo/palms etc. Is acrylic the best paint option for this? Any issues with coating this with Polycrylic to seal it?

Thanks,

Greg

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would stick with the same brand lines to eliminate any issues.
    Different brands can have different additives that might react with the adhesion of the previous coat.
    This can end in cracking, bubbling, fading or other issues.
    You could contact the company with your question and see what they suggest for clear coating the latex.

But in the end it's probably best to test it out first before applying anything to the mural.
    You don't want to wreck it for sure.

3. NancyA

NancyA Elite Member

Rule of thumb with paints is oil floats so when ever you start with a latex you need to keep to water based products. Oil paints or finishes will peel off like tape and destroy the work underneath.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I used craft store 2oz bottles of acrylic paint over the latex base coat in my CWD's and sealed it with 3 coats of polycrylic. It worked out great :)