This Disappears When Logged In

?Paint?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Toadie78, Oct 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

What types of paint are safe to use in a herp tank, will be used in a desert tank.

Will aid in making my "decorations" for the tank that will soon house my Leo's

2. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

I wouldn't even want to risk it. There are plenty of backgrounds, colored rocks, plants, caves, hides, rocks,dyed items, branches, woods, ect... But I will check on what they use for my cave hides for you.

3. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

It is true that there are numerous accessories available now already colored but on the other hand I have seen enclosures where paint was used to create an entirely fantastic background. I personally have no artistic abilities so it leaves me out but as long as you make sure that the paint has completely cured and dried it would be safe following mfg. directions.

4. Toadie78

Toadie78 Elite Member

Thanks thats pretty much what i thought but just wanted to make sure....

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Acrylics is what you'd want to use if you were going to have something painted in the cage ;)

6. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree with furryscaly: Acrylic (water-based latext paint) -- you can even get it as a spray paint: just make sure it says: "water-based" and able to be cleaned up with water.
    The animal should not be put in the terrarium until everything that you painted is dry and doesn't smell anymore. I don't think the fumes are toxic, but I wouldn't want to breathe them in such a closed space. Acrylic paint dries quickly, but if you paint it on thickly, give it at least 3 days to a week do dry thoroughly. My Brazilian Rainbow Boa slid under her freshly painted hide-box (which I thought was dry) and she had paint all over her back! I could have tried to scrub it off, but she was going into shed anyway and it came off with the old skin. I always get some on my skin and when it dries, it takes a fingernail brush to get it off, but it's not toxic.

That's what I used to paint everything in my tropical terrarium. See thread under "Tropical" for pics of my set up and how I made it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.