This Disappears When Logged In

Paid to Field Herp... :D

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by gapeachkatie, Jul 4, 2013.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

It's the best job ever! lol

I get paid $25 a day to go out into the woods and to local shoals to see what type of animal life is abundant. Based on my findings, I get to then be paid to go out with a group to catch, test, and then release certain critters. Since I already go fishing two to three times a week, this just gives me an excuse to hunt down new spots, and I must say, I am seeing some very interesting things.

Last time i went out with the group to tag turtles and set humane traps for alligators, caught two gars, an alligator gar, several snapping turtles (including a few alligator snappers), river cooters, painted turtles, eastern mud, and loggerhead musk turtles, and the most exciting find, which was the most off the wall, a diamondback terrapin. We have no clue where he came from, how he got here, or how he has survived, since terrapins are found in coastal water ways and marshes, but he was caught in a marsh area near the power plant where the water is warmer and a bit more brackish than the river itself. He was in decent shape, but is on his way to UGA's wildlife and marine biology center near Savannah to be given a full work up and health check before being released back into his proper habitat.

In the reptile category, I have discovered which areas are more prone to be home to rattlesnakes, what type of water I will most likely find copperheads, cotton mouths, and water snakes in, and I have also learned to start looking up when searching for corn snakes and king snakes, since a funny afternoon of watching one fall out of the sky onto a friend's head.

Anyways, just figured I would say hey and give an update on my end of the herp life, since I have been kind of AWOL for a good minute. :)

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Hey, paid to Herp. Sounds like a dream. Could be the start of a new career path, although you'd have to live pretty simple ;)

3. gapeachkatie

It's just something to get extra money in my pocket and teaches me all kinds of new knowledge. lol Once I am done with school, I can apply for a full time position with them or with a different research group as a field technician. :D

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Pretty cool! Get paid for what you would do for fun anyways!

5. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I get paid to herp as well, Wildlife Ecologist lab student at LSU, though I work more with Deer and Ducks than Reptiles than I would like

6. gapeachkatie

Methos, it's so much fun, right? Always a new experience and always end up walking away with a new story about what you find or something off the wall that happens. :D

7. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Yeah it is enjoyable, I am just counting down the days till can go herping in SA somewhere which is my dream.

8. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

I get to play with venomous, alligators and crocodiles out in the field. Part that sucks is work depends on funding. Second job is a must in my department.