This Disappears When Logged In

Owners of dog killed by python win legal case

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by Merlin, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

2. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

I am not knowledgeable on snakes and am curious. How long would it take for the snake to grab and wrap several coils around a terrier's head?

3. Merlin

How quickly can you blink your eye. ;)
    About that fast!

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Not very long at all Marie.....a hunting snake can move quite quickly.....Lyn

5. Merlin

And not condoning the fact that the guy allowed the snake to get loose in the first place but whatever happened to obeying leash laws and contributory negligence.
    If the dog hadn't been running loose it likely would not have happened.
    In this situation I feel the dog owner was at fault as well.

6. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Yeah well we just can't win against something cute and fuzzy. You know that if the dog had killed the snake things would have been quite a bit different.

7. Brittone05

Brittone05 Elite Member

Pretty daft hey - if the dog had killed the snake it would have been down to "natural instinct" but give it scales and it is the worst thing ever!!!

Feel kind of bad for the dog people but I don' tunderstand the Americal laws about dogs and leads and stuff - we don't really have them over here I don't think :)

8. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

Sounds to me like someone having to find someone else to blame so they don't have to feel guilty themselves. Part of the society we live in today where it is always someone else's fault instead of our own poor judgement or poor choices. Where making mistakes makes you and a lawyer money.

9. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

How many of you take your snakes out to get some sun? It sounds to me like the owner was next to his snake and in control, the dog owners weren't. Dogs attack dogs all the time, even a large dog on a leash can do some damage to a very small dog that is unleashed, i've seen it firsthand. To me its the same as someone letting their dog off the leash and it getting hit by car, thats not the drivers fault. I feel terrible for the dog owner's but I have just as much sympathy for the snake owner, luckily he didn't have to euthanize it.

I've been outside of my friends apartment with his 11' burmese and irresponsible dog owners have let their dogs out and they have ran up to the snake, the poor girl left in tears but I think she got the point.

10. Merlin

I saw no where in any of the reports that I have read where it mentioned anything about the snake's owner even being present at the time of the incident.
    The way the story reads is the snake had "gotten free".
    This implies to me that the snake was not under supervision but had escaped.

11. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

I expect that even on the lead, that dog could have been attacked and smothered..a hungry snake doesnt care if humans are around...he was just hunting. And...was the guy taking a walk with a golf club...that sounds kinda strange....???

12. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds strange to me too, that he would have a random gulf club....and almost all of us have lost a snake at one point or another..but an 11 ft burm?? I just dont see that happening...

13. Merlin

Unfortunately it happens more often than you would think. I have friends who send me news stories regarding large constrictors that have either escaped and are missing, sending the entire neighborhood into an uproar, or that have turned up unexpectedly in some strange place, such as other peoples' apartments!

And everyone of these stories just gives the anti reptile people more ammunition to use against us.

People frequently underestimate the strength and determination of these animals and the enclosures aren't secure enough. I personally know of a man here in OKC that had a large (approx 10 ft) Burmese housed in an enclosure with the front of it nothing more than thin window glass. He was a reptile dealer in a flea market. One night the snake broke the glass and was on the prowl in the flea market for a month before it was located. This made some of the other vendors VERY unhappy!

14. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

It's really a shame, the dog owner was at least partially responsible. My dogs never leave my yard without a leash and the last time I checked a dog "running at large" was a citable offense. I feel bad for the dog and perhaps the snake owner was irresponsible for letting the snake get loose but to sue for damages is asinine. Litigation is getting way out of hand in this country, people sue for anything and everything.

15. KrokadilyanGuy3

KrokadilyanGuy3 Elite Member

Though I've only been studying Criminal Justice for a short time: If that guy took the time to study and/or gotten himself a lawyer, he could have easily won the case as the Dog's owner openly admits to breaking the law and not keeping full control over the animal, and even pertaining an animal cruelty case; even though the snake may have still struck the dog. And, he can still do so, in a seperate case.

Both should have taken better care..

16. joeking

joeking Elite Member

The dog may have been breaking the not on the leash rule but the snake wasn't being supervised either by the sound of it. People like to put blame on something else. They were both in the wrong and if 2 people were in the wrong and one got eaten I think the other would have to pay. But I agree I bet if the dog attacked the snake it would be a whole different story because people just can't relate to them and fear them.

17. Cornyballpython

Cornyballpython Elite Member

i thought the same thing about the dogs owners having a golf club on them... it seems kind of strange. and for all they know they could have hit the dog...

i verry much dislike house dogs...
    -sara

18. Merlin

Regarding the man having a golf club on them. I frequently see people that are out walking carrying them.
    I have been told that they make a very good deterrant to dogs that are running around off leash as well as human hooligans!

19. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I may not like small dogs but I don't like irresponsible owners either.I have read lots of stories recently that pythons becoming a big problem in Florida and that a law called AB523?? might be passed because of it.

Aidan

20. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

First and foremost, the article does not give enough information for a good judgment to be formed about the case in question. Second, if your pet kills another persons pet you are most likely legally at fault. A lot of the time reptile owners get a bad rap but this time I can't say it was too far off the mark. The owner of the snake was a fool. Big snake, apartment complex and loose, what a recipe for disaster! I'm not saying the dog owner was right to let the dog off it's leash but come on, let's be reasonable!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.