This Disappears When Logged In

Own Blood Python Need Your Help Please

Discussion in 'Blood Pythons' started by chelseykeel, Aug 14, 2010.

1. chelseykeel

chelseykeel Member

I got a blood python about 3 weeks ago. He was very sick looking. His skin was really loose on him. the last owner had him in a desert tank. no water and very poor conditions. when we received him he looked like he needed to shed. I asked one of my friends that knew the kid how long the snake had been shedding and he said at least since febuary. We put him in a tank thats fairly good sized with water in one side and heat in the other. now he shed (with lots of difficulty) and he's looking better. he actually fits into his skin now but now he has these blister spots that when you touch them they leak wattery stuff out of them then they dry up. any clue what they could be?

2. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

What type of heat and how hot?

3. chelseykeel

chelseykeel Member

250 w heat lamp about 20-24 inches from the tank. it doesnt get tank over about ninety degrees usually. i am not sure the humidity is high enough but we are working on that. we are really wondering if they aren't water blisters from him rehydrating himself too fast. any other ideas? he spent the first two days in his water bowl.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Hi. Chelsey, If I haven't already, let me welcome you to HCN! Next, have you looked on here at the caresheet for Blood Pythons? The one on here is excellent and it is the one I follow for my blood (who, by the way is meaner than any other snake I own). They require high humidity and access to water constantly. I don't know about the water blisters, was his cage dirty (feces, urates)? It may be blister rot//scale rot from poor husbandry. It could just be from rehydrating too quickly (though I doubt it), it may be a staph infection. If it has been occurring over a period of time, he needs veterinary attention just to be certain he is healthy. Good luck and God bless you for rescuing such a beautiful helpless creature!

5. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Hope he feel better soon! Poor guy, glad to hear that you are giving him a better home. With the conditions that he came from, I would encourage a complete vet check.

6. chelseykeel

chelseykeel Member

thank you for all the advise i appreciate it. I didn't know there was a caresheet on this site. i will be sure to check it out although i did look at several caresheets on several sites when we first got him. I do have a ball python that i have had for several years. she is very healthy and she is very beautiful. I have a corn snake too that isn't very old. The corn snake is very mean to me though but i know it will just take time to tame. I also have a gopher snake that we caught a few months back she took maybe an hour to tame. I don't think we're all that bad with snakes but i actually need help with my blood. I hope i can get our blood python healthy.

7. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Blood pythons come from a remote part of the world where it is very tropical and it rains at least once EVERY day and frequently rains constantly for many days in a row. They are always wet in their natural enviroment.