This Disappears When Logged In

Overly Active After Eating?

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by texasreb, Mar 21, 2014.

1. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

My 13 year old corn snake ate a rat pup on March 7 and then an adult mouse yesterday (March 20).
    Prior to eating yesterday's meal--she was very active and begging for food.

When she ate, she struck the (frozen, thawed) mouse really hard and ate it in record time. Immediately after consuming the mouse she did her normal post feeding behavior of soaking in the water bowl and drinking lots of water. She also moved around a bit (normal). Usually after she feeds she goes quiet for a few days. Today she is all over the place and begging like crazy.

Is she still hungry? Is something wrong? I don't see any signs that she has regurgitated. She's acting normal for a non-feeding time. She's up and down and round and round--stopping and staring at anyone and everyone who's attention she can catch.

Oh and she shed on March 6. Her intact shed skin was 5'2" long!

2. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I don't think anything's wrong, she may just still be a bit hungry. The breeding season is coming up, maybe that could be the culprit as well. Maybe try feeding her more often, e.g. every 10 days? And remember that the prey item, whatever it is, should be about 1.5 times as thick as the thickest part of the snake. Don't worry, though, an active snake is never a sick snake:)

3. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

Thank you for your quick and reassuring response!

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From your description it sounds like you may need to increase the size of the feeder.

But the moving around is normal. Cornsnakes are little gluttons and will eat themselves obese if you let them.

5. lisas

lisas Elite Member

Sometimes mine goes through very active periods. It seems somewhat random, but she will move like crazy and try to find her way out of the tank. She did this last weekend, and I took her out for a really long time (a few hours) and she crawled up and down the back of a chair (winter exercise). I don't know if it has anything to do with being hungry. It was the day before she ate so maybe. Being active is a good sign for the elders I think (mine is 10).

6. texasreb

texasreb Active Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking she's just still hungry. I usually feed an adult mouse/week or a rat pup every 10 days. This is a class pet and her feeding schedule was a bit thrown off due to Spring Break and my supply of mice and rats. I'll feed her again in a week and start feeding slightly larger meals.