This Disappears When Logged In

Outdoor Enclosure Screen Question

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Dan01, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I'm wanting to build my Bearded Dragon an outdoor enclosure with a wood frame, bottom, and screens all around. My question is, if the screen is fine enough to keep out lightning bugs, would it filter out a large amount of uv from the sun? Or are lightning bugs not that large of a threat in an outdoor enclosure? I wouldn't want my Beardie to eat one, but I also would want him to get a good amount of uv.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A single firefly can kill your dragon if ingested.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I can't find info on it right now. I know there's some data somewhere. I do recall though that even 1/4" squares will block some uv.

4. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Is it just better, then, to only have an indoor enclosure?

5. kriminaal

Lighting bugs don't come out til dusk where I'm at.
    You could bring him inside before that time.

6. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

The night time temps stay within the range Spartin needs, so I was thinking of keeping him out all the time while it is warm?. Is that a bad idea?

7. kriminaal

Not in my mind, in my yard.
    Do you have wild animals around? Raccoons, cats, coyotes?

8. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

Racoons, skunks, possums, generally what you'd expect to find in Kansas. I get what you're saying: outdoor enclosures are generally used for several hours a day so the lizard can get authentic UV, right?

9. Merlin

Pretty much. An outdoor enclosure is do-able...you just have to make sure all bases are covered.

10. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I'm thinking of using chicken wire for the screen and plywood for the base. Should I seal the plywood? If so, with what?

11. Merlin

If you are referring to the circular wire, don't. It is too big of an opening and will allow snakes or rodents to enter. I would use nothing larger than 1/4 inch hardware cloth. And I would suggest, unless the cage needs to be moveable to make the bottom out of the same hardware cloth.

12. skygear

skygear Active Member

13. skygear

skygear Active Member

I used some of that security mesh/ screen for enclosures in the past. Reason being is I have had predators crash enclosures trying to eat whatever they could get.