This Disappears When Logged In

Outdoor Enclosure for a Sulcata

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by activelydying, May 29, 2014.

1. activelydying

activelydying Well-Known Member

I'm going to start to build an enclosure for Petey my Sulcata. I was going to get some landscape timbers for the walls, but not really sure what else I would need. I was thinking about making a screen for the top to keep him safe, even though he is pretty good size, I'm worried about hawks. He will just be out during the day for now and when I am home. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Chris

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

I would build a 4x4 frame with a wire fencing all around.... Build it to a 4-5 feet tall and 5 feet on each side depending on the size of your tortoise... but its best to build an adult enclosure so you dont have to worry about upgrading later..... but keep in mind that sulcatas have been known to take out fences/enclosures before by continuous ramming and pushing.... you are dealing with a living tank! so be sure to put the 4x4s in the ground atleast a couple feet......

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sulcattas will also burrow, so plan on going 6"-12" below the surface with the sidewalls. I actually would not recommend using fencing for the lower part of the walls the tort will normally be in contact with, as they don't really seem to get it and will keep ramming it, as was said, and the living tank analogy was actually quite apt. I would create sidewalls with 2×6 treated tongue-and-groove boards, and go 8'×16' or larger. 4x4s can be used at the corners, and the covering can be as high as will be comfortable for you to access. Hawks will be less of a worry for you than raccoons, possums, and stray cats, especially if you start leaving it out overnight.

4. activelydying

Thanks for the response and help folks. I let him just wander around the yard yesterday. My shepherd, Jodi, wouldn't let him leave her sight.

DSC01633.jpg

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are also going to need some type of barrier under the cage. Sulcatas are serious burrowers.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Been free ranging mine lately too, at least when I can keep a half an eye on her. Surprising how much ground they'll cover when they want to.

7. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

im actually looking to acquire one myself as my daughter is nagging for a tortoise.... and ive been researching sulcatas for a long time and feel it would be alot more easier to care for one then my iguana...... but please do correct me if i am wrong.....

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Look into leopard tortoises. They still get big, but more manageable. I wouldn't recommend Sulcattas to anyone, as they will need caging that is beyond most people's ability to provide when they reach adulthood.

9. activelydying

Yea, I was kinda amazed by that too. Lol