This Disappears When Logged In

Otis still not eaten

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by steel rip, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

I decided to feed Otis in his tank this time with a smaller Rat, as the last two feeds he hasnt ate, I thought it was cause i put him in the feeder tub the last two times, as I have been trying to switch from tank to feeder, he still never ate it, I cant understand as he is out at night, when he smelled the rat on top of his cage he came out sniffing as if he wanted it, I left it in there all night with him, but it was still there this morning, if he was fasting already, would he still come out at night?

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Welcome to the wonderfull world of caring for BP's. we had the same problem a few weeks ago, switched to live rat pups and problem solved (ours is a baby)

3. venus

venus Founding Member

How old is your BP and how longs has it been since it ate. Mine sometimes will go weeks even months without eating.

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

It is fall after all, all you BP owners get ready to worry!!!

5. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Hes left his last 3 feeds, so i would say hes gone about a month and half, last winter he went about 6 months but hes started fasting early this time if he is fasting :confused: last year he started refusing feeds round about november.

6. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

One of our adult males has started doing this - after two years of never missing a feed, shortly after winter last year he began skipping a feed every now and then,. Now his habits are all over the place,. one week he will eat, then perhaps skip two weeks, then eat again, then maybe just miss one feed or even three or four. He is constantly searching his tank, and I am certain it is because he is looking for a mate - he is sexually mature and wants to breed! :p

I was going to suggest you try mice or something, but if he has done this before for you then i would take it as normal.. it doesn't matter when he went off his food last time. It is starting to get cold and nights are getting darker earlier. He may just be ready for his winter fast, I would keep trying him every couple of weeks to make sure, as he may still want to eat occasionally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.