This Disappears When Logged In

Other Good Ways to Measure Basking Temps?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Dan01, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I know that temp guns are the best...but I just knocked my only one into the cats water bowl. I have ordered a new one but it won't ship for a while (and then it will take a few days to ship). To make things worse, I have been in the process of figuring out the basking spot with a new light so I have no idea what the proper basking setup looks like (with that particular bulb)! Any other good ways to measure basking temps until the temp gun arrives? I really need to know!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get a reasonable idea by laying your thermometer probe on the basking surface. It will read a little on the minus side but it will be a good ballpark.

3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Bingo. That's what I'm doing until my tempgun arrives.

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Just an FYI, you can get a temp gun at almost any hardware store, it doesn't have to be reptile specific. Mine is actually from my r/c hobby, and was or still is occasionally used to check engine head temps on my planes and helicopters. I even have one of the little zoo-med ones as a backup. So no need to wait formthe order. But yes, about the only other option is a probed thermometer as your already doing.