This Disappears When Logged In

Oscar in the hospital

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by nicole, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Well Oscar is in the hospital as I type this. Earlier today I put him in the tub as usual to do his business, well as soon as I got him in there he peed and I noticed it was red, :eek: so I called up the vet. My emergency vet told me to get him in immediately. My hubby took him up there, as I had a previous engagement with animal control coming out. If I am not here he thinks I have something to hide, so I had to stay.
    They are running a reptile panel to figure out if it is just an infection or the kidneys themselves are spilling blood. I really have no answers now at the moment, but as a precaution they are running IV fluids through him to help flush out the kidneys and keep him hydrated. I will know more tomorrow.
    I cant sleep and I am a nervous wreck. Do you think this could be something caused from the accident? I asked the vet that but he just said he will have no idea until the results of the tests are back. I hope it is just an infection, but how do torts get kidney infections? A million questions I will have to ask the vet when I call tomorrow. Poor Oscar sitting there with an IV in all night.
    I wonder how they do that and get it to stay in when I know he will do anything to get away from shots, oh never mind I just figured it out, they use a papoose to keep the leg strapped in and pulled out so he cant move it. ACKKKK now I will never sleep tonight. :(
    Any thoughts as to what might have caused this would be great. Remember though all these tests were done on Oscar the night of the accident, as the police officer took him to an Emergency vet clinic as I went with my kids to the hospital.... His tests then were all fine.

2. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Re: oscar in hospital,,

Heres praying that everything will be fine. Oscar is such a magnificent animal!
    Take care and keep us posted.
    I know how hard it is waiting for the emergency vet to get info...
    I just had that last Sunday waiting for the answers for my 11 month old black lab puppy who slipped on the ice playing...he tore his acl! Now he's crate bound for 4 weeks poor thing. Luckily my sleepless nights yeilded some hope (he partially tore it theres hope that he'll heal on his own with the crate rest I will know more in 3 weeks) I hope you get good news too.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats awful Nicole! Seems like it isn't one thing its another! I can imagine how you felt when you saw the bloody urine!
    Here's hoping its something minor and Oscar wil be back to ramming your toes in no time!!

4. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

My thoughts are with you.....keep us posted Nicole!!!

5. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

Oh no! I hope he's okay. Please keep us updated on his condition.

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

oh nicole that sucks.

7. vegasandbecca

vegasandbecca Elite Member

Hope that as turns out well for Oscar and a quick recovery.

8. venus

venus Founding Member

Good luck.

9. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Well,, Iguess that is kind of how it goes when you do rescue,, lol.

Update though,, Oscar passed a piece of gravel earlier this morning,, that had some pretty sharp edges,, he has had no more blood in the urine,, and the xrays show no impaction or anything like that,, the reptile panel is not in yet though. The vet thinks that maybe as the stone was moving along the tract to be excreted it may have caught the edge and caused the bleeding. Will know for sure though when the panel comes back. They have taken him off the IV as he is well hydrated and he is eating like a pig (as usual) His fecal though turned up Flukes again,,,ughh, so more meds for the that.
    Here is the funny part,, as soon as they took out the IV he started ramming the cage door and actually damaged it :eek: lol Now he is free roaming in his very own room, lol. If the tests turn out fine then I will go get him today.

10. The D

The D Mango Empress

Yay! well, not that he peed gravel... but that he's doing well! I so hope you can get him today, we've all been so worried!

11. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

great news I hope he recovers very quickly and come home:)

12. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

Hopefully Oscars recovery will be swift. I know you had to be absolutely panicked over this whole ordeal. Our animals are such an integral part of our lives. Good luck Nicole.

13. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

That's great. I'm glad he's doing okay.

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

oscar ramming = ok oscar

15. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

aww poor guy. hope he will end up being alright. sounds like he's doing better. *fingers crossed*

16. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Sounds like things will improve, best of luck and keep us posted.

17. nicole

nicole Elite Member

ughhhh, still no panel,,, I am going crazy!!! The vet says anytime,, but Oscar seems to be doing just fine... he is wandering everywhere there.

18. Ipanda

Ipanda Elite Member

Poor guy... Hope the panel comes out fine...

19. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

What an ordeal! Any new news?

20. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Hope things turn out well!!! Maybe he ate that piece of gravel cause he heard you were thinking about sending him to the rescue, and he figured that if he needed more medical attention he would get to stay longer... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.