This Disappears When Logged In

Ornaments from Gardening Center?

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by jen87, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jen87

jen87 Well-Known Member

I went to the store today and got everything set up for my frog tank. While I was in the gardening center I found cute little ornaments that would normally go in a garden (they were less than a dollar so I'm not to worried if I can't use them) but I was wondering if it would be okay to keep them in the tank or would the humidity have an affect on the materials that make up the ornament and hurt the frog

2. gus211

gus211 Well-Known Member

Unless you know what the ornaments are made of i wouldnt risk it, if they have paint on them that itself maybe toxic to your frogs.

3. aeral

aeral Elite Member

In my experience, those have a tendency to be worn down by the weather and the paint flakes off of some of them. I'd be nervous about that, and more so about not knowing what type of paint is used.

If they're glass/molded plastic I think they would be ok - unless in direct exposure to heat, of course. :) I've seen those used in enclosures before. (glass/plastic garden ornaments)

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I have a few garden ornaments in my tanks, they are usually made with the same stuff as the petshop ornaments. Years ago the use of toxic paints was banned in North America and Europe. So check and see if it has a made in ____ sticker. Third world countries, Asia and South America still use lead based paints. So it's best to stay away from those. If you are concerned about what type of paint it has on it you can always seal it with polycrylic.

I have this big ugly gargoyle that was in my fish tank for years. I purchased it after halloween at Michels for under a dollar! It's been with Spikey the beardie since we got him in August. He likes to climb it at times :)