This Disappears When Logged In

Ornament Sealant Question

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Nickhendrix007, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Nickhendrix007

Nickhendrix007 New Member

I am making a waterfall for an upcoming FBT tank. I have it completely made (and using safe materials - styrofoam, aquarium safe glue and aquarium safe paint) except for a final, clear sealant to go over the finished product. I have seen multiple posts saying to use one type of sealant and then other posts saying not to use that kind.

So far, I know it needs to be waterproof and have no mildew inhibitors in it. Has anyone else made homemade ornaments/decorations?

Does anyone know what type of sealant is out there that is safe to completely cover a homemade ornament?

Thanks!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Most silicone for windows and doors is safe.
    The ones that contain the mold inhibitors are the Kitchen and Bath products. Don't use them.
    Some brands even state "aquarium safe" on them.

Read the tubes over. Look for GE 100% Silicone II Windows and Doors. But still read the label as they have a multitude of different branding.

3. gpolkin

gpolkin Well-Known Member

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

For a fire belly toad enclosure where the waterfall will be partiall submerged I would use a marine grade epoxy so it won't degrade after time. Also most marine grade stuff is safe for the environment and your pets.