This Disappears When Logged In

Orlando Repticon

Discussion in 'Shows and Expos' started by Dragoness, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I miss the yearly venison deliveries from my brother in law. He would always send us part of a deer he got during hunting season. He moved. No mover free delivery. :(

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

How about YOU all try rat, and if you like it, you can try convincing me..... Be prepared for a loooong discusion, ....

3. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Squirrel is pretty good - kinda like chicken. I don't think I'd have a problem trying rat. I think it'd make a nice stew. Too small to do much else with it.

Funny story about how we got squirrel in our freezer.

Grey wants to hunt, but doesn't know how to field dress an animal (something I can do) One day while riding my bike home, I watched a car run over a squirrel's head, so I stopped and thought .... well, if he wants to hunt, he needs some practice field dressing... so I took home the squirrel, and threw it on the counter and told him to get busy. He looks at me and says "what do I do..."

So I (a female) had to explain to Grey (a male) the fine art of skinning and gutting.

I had to teach him how to find his way around a hardware store too.

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

With the rat, you could do terryaki sticks- just skin it, gut it and skewer it and dip it in sauce and cook it. There have been urban legends about Chinese restaurants doing that for years. I learned the fine art of dressing out rabbits while watching my father skin and clean them. The only problem is to watch out for the bladder so it doesn't burst, makes it hard to rinse it all off of the meat. Are squirrels the same way?
    Murrindindi- I figured a misplaced Aussie like you would jump at the chance to have a bit of rat. Aren't all of you guys like "Crocodile Dundee"? Just joking, I know that is a stereotype.

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I've eaten squirrel. A bit too much work for what you get,...too bony! But it makes ok stew or dumplings! And rabbit is pretty good though a bit chewy.

Not a thing wrong with a kilt. I wear them myself. They are ultra comfortable, and cooler than shorts in hot weather.

And you better watch out calling a kilt a skirt in front of a scotsman!

There's an old story about how the kilt got its name.
    When the English first invaded Scotland, they made an off color remark about men wearing dresses.

So the bonnie Scotsmen "Kilt" em! :D:D:D:D

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You typically try not to puncture or burst any part of the digestive tract - it can be very smelly and very messy. This applies to every animal I have ever dressed or butchered.

7. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I knew about the rest of the digestive tract, I mentioned the bladder because from my memory( sketchy though it is) the bladder was a lot more fragile and therefore easier to puncture than the rest of the other parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.