This Disappears When Logged In

Oreo what size mouse you think

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Disturbedcries87, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

Hey what size mouse you think he could eat when i buy mice i can only find one size of mice but a small rat seems way to big for him

[​IMG]

2. RES/AnoleLover89

RES/AnoleLover89 Elite Member

i think the rule of thumb us a mouse only a little larger in diameter than the snake. how big is your king?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is correct. You need a prey item about the size of the snake's body at the widest point. Its hard to tell for sure from the picture but it looks like you are looking at fuzzies or hopper mice. A rat will be a bit too big yet.

4. Disturbedcries87

Hey thanks for the replies. Where i get my mice from everytime i have asked for a larger mouse or a hopper they come with just a regular mouse they keep them in the back so i really cant see them this saturday ill ask for a hopper and see if i can go back and pick one. Here's a few picture's i just took about 15 minutes ago or so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. venus

venus Founding Member

He looks great. Love the name to, it fits. lol

6. Disturbedcries87

lol hey Marsha thanks :p i thought so to about the name :)

7. Merlin

Actually now that I can see the size reference (your hand) he's a bit larger than I thought. A small adult mouse will be fine.

8. Disturbedcries87

Hey Merlin,
    thank's for looking and giving me some info ill check this saturday and see if they have adult mice at the store thanks again and sorry for the hassle

9. Merlin

Not a hassle! Its why we are here!;)

10. Disturbedcries87

:D thanks glad yall guys are around :)

11. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i love the name too. its cute! :)

12. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

We feed all of our snakes rats: for a snake your size you could feed him fuzzy rat babies. (I think rats have more meat on them per gram than mice: but some snakes seem to prefer mice.)
    We order all of our rats online frozen and they usually have a variety of sizes available.
    Good luck! :)

13. Disturbedcries87

I don't think my mom would go for the frozen mice thing :p maybe when i move out it would be a better choice

14. DarkMagician207

my mom didn't go for the frozen mice thing at first either. i had originally been buying ones to knock out before feeding. but i liked the idea of not having to run out every week to buy food so i looked into frozen and talked to her about it. we agreed upon buying frozen as long as she didn't see they were there. so when i get a shipment, i seperate them into bags of 3 (i have three snakes to feed a week, so i only need to get 1 bag out a week), then i put all the bags into a brown paper bag so they weren't visible, and wrapped them in a plastic bag. it works great. :)

15. Disturbedcries87

hey thats a good idea i might talk to her about tht see wht she thinks thanks for the idea Dark.

16. DarkMagician207

sure no problem! we have a big freezer in our laundry room that we keep stuff in and after i separated all the mice into bags of 3 each and wrap them in the paper and plastic bags it actually doesn't take up all that much space so my mom forgets they are in there really. i use a certain bag every time so she knows thats the bag she doesn't need to bother with. and i take my mice out when she's not in the room so that helps too! :)

also, separating them into bags helps to keep exposure to the air to a minimum. i had a shipment once where i just took them out of the bag they came in each time i needed them. well everytime i opened this bag i was letting the air get to the rest and some of them went bad. ew. i found out that by separating them into the bags i would use each week it keeps them in much better shape. i just recently finished a bag of 50 mice and they kept in my freezer for several months so when they're kept right they last for a good while. much cheaper in the long run than running out every week for food! :D

17. Disturbedcries87

Hey ya im waiting for her to get home so i can talk to her about it.So how do you thaw them out ?? just leave them out for awhile? And also i didnt think they would last that long.

18. Merlin

I just lay them on a plate in the snake room and let them gradually thaw. You can put them in a plastic baggie and put them in warm water to speed up the process.

19. Spikes the name

Spikes the name Elite Member

That is quite a beautiful snake you have there what type of snake is it??
    Or is it just a kingsnake??

Sorry dont know that much about snakes :eek:

20. Disturbedcries87

its a california kingsnake :D from my expirence with Oreo i find they are very docile, active snake. Never bitten me so far :). But this is the only Cali king i have had so hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.