This Disappears When Logged In

Orchid Mantis Care

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by Drache Dame, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

I was wondering if anyone had a good caresheet or knew the care of Pink Orchid Mantises. Someone is selling them on another forum, and while I'm deeply interested, I want to know proper care before even considering them as a pet. Any help is appreciated, and I will pass this information along, as many people just buy things without doing research. :mad:

2. venus

venus Founding Member

3. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Thanks Marsha! That's one of the ones I found, but it contradicts another I found >.< It's so hard to know which is correct.

4. venus

venus Founding Member

5. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Holy cow, I just googled those. very impressive.

6. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Yeah...they're beautiful, and from what I've read they can live in very small enclosures. I've been looking for another "look" pet such as a scorpion, and this guy caught my eye....wow!

7. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Yeah Marsha posted the site I was going to. Ian knows his stuff.

8. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Okay. Thanks, I'll follow that site instead of the other.

9. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow those are beautiful!

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

WOW googled it as well. Very Very pretty. I wouldn't know what to do with it but it is very cool :) :)

11. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

Mantids are really interesting to keep, I never kept ochids but wanted to. They really don't require much in temps or lighting. Humidity and a small food source is the most important thing as well as breeding to keep your collection going as most only live for a year at most. I did't have any luck breeding most mine (my males got eaten or died before the female was adult). I had the most luck with Ghost mantids.

Keep them at a high room temp and feed on fruit flies and green bottle blues and you'll be set. I would also recommend starting with a small group of about 6 mantids a or at least a pair of females and a few more males, just in case. Mantids are more time demanding than any other insect I've worked with but if you can keep them breeding and keep the small ones alive (yes, they are very small) then they are well worth the time.

12. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Wow thanks Titus! I think I'm going to wait before I get anything else, but I like to do LOTS of research beforehand. That information was super helpful. I wasn't planning on breeding, but maybe it's something to think about. Thanks!

13. Elle

Elle Member

I find these one of the easiest mantids to keep , room temp feed flies , plenty humidity and they are fine.

14. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Thanks Rabymar! Since I am still interested, let me know about your setup! Size? Type? Substrate? You say flies, what kind? Handlable? Any help from an owner is appreciated! Thanks!

15. Elle

Elle Member

Hi my nymphs are housed in a small pot *clear plastic disposable cup* with a net lid, fastened on with a elastic band. I don't bother with sticks and such as they just hang from the top any way. To retain a humid climate I have kitchen roll in the bottom which is sprayed every day, along with the mantid. As they grow I move them onto larger pots till they reach adult, this takes a nymph *female* around a year. Males take a lot less time to mature. feeding my nymphs from hatch to 3/4 times molt *L3-L4 eat fruit fly which I breed myself and then move on to blue bottles *which i hatch myself.* :) Forgot to say mine dont mind been handled at all lol....The above is how a breeder keeps them are you just after a pet to display? Similar to the above but go to town with the deco *take care the orchid can find enough pray as these are a sit and wait predator.

16. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

I was looking for something for display, yes, that can stay in a small enclosure. I was thinking of a modified "Kritter Keeper" Which is a small platic container.

What is a Kitchen Roll?

17. Elle

Elle Member

Oh errrrrm paper towel? its the easiest to clean out but for display soil would work just as well they very rarly venture to the bottom of their enc any way just keep it moist for the humidity ...A mantid will be fine in one of them as long as they have ample food to eat.

18. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Thanks for all your help! :)

19. Elle

Elle Member

You are welcome ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.