This Disappears When Logged In

"oral dewormer?"

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by joeking, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeking

joeking Elite Member

Hey I brought Joe to get examined today at the Vet and there are no Herptologists available but somebody said this guy delt with reptiles and he handled him normally but I don't know how much about him he knows and you guy's probably know more so...he gave me liquid 'dewormer' which was rather expensive even though he didn't check him for parasites...think it's ok to give him? He said I should get it done..

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Be more specific...what is the product called?

Also if you are in doubt of weither he has parasites or not get a fecal float test done and go from there. Most places will let you drop off the feces without paying for the doctor to see the snake again so you wont get hit with an office call charge, just the float test charge which shouldnt be over $15 or so.

3. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

If it's Panacur, it's safe to give him. What was the dosage he told you to give and the weight of Joe?

4. Moshpitrockchick

See but isnt pancur usually a paste? I'm using it right now and it was given to me in a paste form that takes 4 treatments. When I dewormed the iguana they used a single treatment of droncit which was a liquid and it was such a tiny amount that they didnt even charge for it.

5. venus

venus Founding Member

No, panacur also comes in liquid form. Thats what was given to me for the beardies.

6. Moshpitrockchick

I wish I knew that before buying this danged paste! It's such a mess!

7. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

The liquid is way more expensive but worth it IMO. I've never heard of Droncit.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Droncit is used to treat for tapeworms which Dizzy had BAD when I got him....not a pleasant story let me tell you!

9. replover

replover Elite Member

No use speculating what it may be. If the vet isn't an exotics vet, does not perform a fecal float and just asks you buy a "rather costly" dewormer without confirming it has parasites I think that's time to turn around and walk out of the office.

10. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I can't say I disagree with Replover, but I also know that most times, a dewormer won't harm the herp. (Many dewormers are also appetite stimulants.)

Personally, I would get a fecal done. Its cheap and will let you know if he trully needs the meds. I don't pay for anything until I see the results of tests.

11. joeking

joeking Elite Member

They didn't have anything about reptiles in the place and the guy seemed pretty unsure but when I called around this was the only place that looks at reptiles in town and the assistants said he was 'the best' but he definitly didn't have a clue. The reason why I wanted him tested for parasites is because he's 2.5 feet long and I'm pretty sure that's pretty short for his age (I said 4 before but I was just thinking of when I was born so really he'll be 4 in october). He said he looke fine=S There was a girl there in the waiting room who had a Boa and said he was beautiful and looked healthy but didn't know why he was so small and said she had to bring her snake for a 16 hour drive when he got sick because there's nowhere in town but Joe looked fine and I shouldn't worry about him.

Did I mention the vet asked what kind of snake it is? I told him a California King and he said did you ever think that maybe its a corn? I said no. He asked why not and I said because it was a king and he doesn't look like a corn?

Anyway how the **** do you feed him the stuff anyway? I was holding him and trying to get the shringe next to his head thinking maybe he'd hopefully snap at it and he'd just sway back and forth and do a little snake dance so I let him squirm so only his head was showing so he'd shake his head back and forth like a little kid and I mean he completely locks his mouth shut so I couldn't get it open. Then I tried to hold the front of his head and he'd just squirm around until he was sideways I felt soooo soo bad I really didn't like doing it to him and the hole in the shringe was bigger then I wanted it to be...So I tried to put a bit on his tongue every time he'd flick his tongue out and I got it once or twice and he'd just open and close his mouth like a kid does when he taists something really bad and then rubed his face against my arm like a person would rub something off in a napkin. So then I tried to get him to bite me and back him into a corner and get it through the crack in his mouth but there was no budging he knew what I was up to and wasn't about to bite for anything. So then I put a mouse in front of him and he went for it and sliped it in the crack in his mouth and nothing came out and he swallowed the mouse...and drooled the stuff up and wiped it in the container! Smart little frigger!

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.