This Disappears When Logged In

One Time Event

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by josh112990, Dec 2, 2009.

1. josh112990

josh112990 Well-Known Member

i have learned my lesson about holding a snake with hands full i had asked my mother for a hand and i realized she ws snapping a pic so i was reaching to stop her but it is kinda funny how it turned out. trina was not squeezing just trying to go from the front of me to the back and this was the result
    downsized_12020901031.jpg
    i know this was dangerous but i know my animals and trina has never struck at me or anything. so i was not worried about her doing any thing she was just really heavy to have sitting like that

Attached Files:

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have noticed all of our boas and pythons seem to like glasses too. If you are holding one, and happen to be wearing glasses of any type, they gravitate towards them... Doesn't matter where they were to begin with, they will FIND glasses if you have them.

As long as you are aware of the dangers. (and it seems you are)

Beautiful snake though.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm sorry but you are putting yourself in a VERY foolish and dangerous situation to have the snake wrapped around your head and neck like that! Whether the snake has struck at you or not is irrelevant. All it takes is for something to make the snake uneasy and it WILL start to squeeze.
    And then you're SCREWED!
    With all the hooplah about banning pythons that would be just more ammo for them!

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with Merlin, it's very dangerous, what if you were to find yourself alone with your snake wrapping itself around your head and neck then squeezing?
    Its a beautiful snake though :)

5. josh112990

josh112990 Well-Known Member

i never handle any of my snakes if i am alone i have raised her since she was three weeks old i know the "dangers" but i am always prepared to deal with an attack if it ever happens, my mother is always present when i am holding her and she knows what to do in case something does go wrong like i said this was an accident after this picture was taken my mother removed her from me and i know my snake has no intentions of hurting me i do respect and know that she is a verry formitable predator and if she wanted to hurt me that was her chance. trina has always been my snake if someone else has her she comes straight to me and she doesnt even like me handling other snakes while i was in new york i was handling a blood python and it struck at my face my friend was holding trina and she practicaly flew from him when the blood struck at me and she killed him there was nothing i could do but pay for the blood python. whether anybody believes it or not trina is protective of me and always has been i used to live in an abusive environment and if i had trina out and someone hit me they got bit. once again i know my animal and with retics the saying is they are what you make them and i have made her MY snake and i know her very well. i posted this picture for laughs not criticism i said it was a one time event hence the title of the post it was an accidental thing my mom took the picture and my hands were full so there for i could not stop her from going up to my head cause if i could have she would have not made it that far

6. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I originally was not going to post on this thread, but I feel compelled now to do so. I can read the frustration and defensiveness in your post. We all have done things that are possibly a little reckless. Every post I have read in this thread only seems to be voicing concern for you. I understand you know your snake and you have made her your snake since she was 3 weeks old. How many people who own pitbulls or any other dog for that matter have not been bitten by their own dogs that they have raised from a puppy? I know I have. Knowing the risks does not make the situation any safer. I am happy you have your mother with you, but think about this- will your mother be able to remove "your" snake from around you if she decides to constrict? Or will the snake mistake that as an attak on you and attack your mother also? What will happen when your snake becomes too large for you and your mother(large constrictors have a tendancy to grow too large for 2 people to handle)? I understand you only posted this on here for laughs and did not expect a sermon, but you also have to remember that we as large snake owners have a responsibility to maintain safety standards, moreso now with the proposed python ban looming over our heads. When all is said and done, how you care for your snake is your business and if you want to continue wrapping her around your head (I know- it was a one time thing) that is your business, but don't be surprised if you don't get some unfavorable comments about you posting a picture on the internet that can possibly be used against all snake owners in the future. Again- I am not trying to preach, I just want you to see both sides of the discussion.

7. pyke

pyke Active Member

this is kinda off topic but is the python ban goinna effect everyone?
    i live in Nova Scotia Canada and i just got my ball Python. he tends to love climbing up your arms to your head thru your hair to the top of your head and curls up on top of ur head its soo cute. so should i be worried about him doing this or will i be safe cause mine will never get as big as the one he has?
    and by the way that snake is awesome looking

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Your ball python will never get anywhere close to the size of Josh's snake. With yours 6 ft long would be the maximum.
    And the python ban we have been talking about is relative to the USA. Though other countries have already passed or are considering passing laws restricting what you can keep.

9. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Hi Josh....please do not get upset about the advice you have been given by people here who only want to protect you and your beautiful retic, and all the other beautiful retics and large constrictors in the USA. We all think we 'know" our snakes and like to think that they also "know" (some of them do) and "love" us and would not hurt us, but they do not think like humans and they are wild animals that are capable of - you know what already! Yours is not an exception to the rule of safety that we need to use, to show that we are responsible owners, to bolster our case against the python ban!

By the way, retics are my very favourite snake, and yours is fantastic. Treat him as you treat yourself, with respect, especially as he gets bigger and more deserving of it!