This Disappears When Logged In

One of the Most Tragic Things to Ever Happen to Any Pet Owner.

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by annarawrr, Mar 1, 2012.

1. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Hey everyone,
    I feel terrible just about now. I woke up about half an hour ago and before I even went to wash my face, I went to check on all my pets first as I do every morning. Water snake, check. Iguana, check. I got round to the mouse cage and there was Rock lying motionless in the middle of the floor looking very... Elongated. I also saw that he looked wet, and that's when it hit me. I tore the house apart looking for my corn Lola and thankfully she wasn't too difficult to locate, but she was very angry. I've found the gap in her enclosure and taped it up.

But anyway, I'm feeling like a horrid mother right now. Yes, I do feed Lola on schedule but I should have remembered that corns are opportunistic eaters and I should have protected Rock by keeping him in a tank instead of a wire cage. My poor baby would have died a slow and painful death. I was so proud that I managed to raise him from a pup, even before his eyes were opened and before he was weaned, but now this. I feel like I shouldn't even be allowed to have pets after what happened to him. I'm so sorry I didn't protect him, from another one of my pets nonetheless!!

Rest in peace Rock, I should have been more thoughtful and I hope you can forgive me.

2. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Sincere condolences, don't beat yourself up so much. Accidents happen.

3. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you (and Rock of course)! Try to remember that things are going the way of nature. It is sad but, Lola was only doing what nature intended. You are punishing yourself right now, and that proves you are a good owner/keeper. I am sure Rock is looking down at you and thinking that you are the poor animal because you still have many ( I hope) years of life and suffering yet to go. Take care and don't be so hard on yourself.

4. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thank you kindly David and Infernalis. I should have thought twice about keeping predator and prey in my home... Ironically Rock (and his brother Roll, who also passed away because of a neurological issue common to mice) came to me in a box of pinkies that were meant for Lola. They were too big for her so I kept them and raised them.

I hope he knows I never meant for this to happen and I hope Lola isn't too stressed out about her little adventure too. I didn't check for any wounds on her as I was in shock, I'll make sure to do that later because she's only a tiny snake and it's possible Rock could have hurt her.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Sorry to hear of these tragic events, I agree that you sound like a caring person and that is good.

Please be carefull of tape and reptile enclosuers, I've had to peal more than my share of herps off well intended makeshift patches to cages with tape.

6. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thank you :) Oh, and of course. The tape is just a temporary solution until I figure out how to seal the tank. The gaps are between the tank itself and the insides of the wooden cover and I made sure all the sticky parts are facing inwards and not towards anywhere my snake can get.

7. rosi92

rosi92 Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear about Rock, but please try not to beat yourself up about it. All of us here, and Rock and Roll as well, know you did the best you could to care for them, and that is the important thing.

8. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Rock and Roll where both lucky mice, they found their way into your home and heart! Yes both lived short lives, but in that short time the got to know what it is to be loved by someone. Rest in Peace little Rock! Have fun up in that place we all go with your brother Roll!

Sorry for your loss Anna!

9. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thank you guys. I just feel terrible because I have taken in three needy or sick animals (Rock and Roll still had their eyes closed and needed to drink milk every 3-4 hours and K'nuckles was a very VERY sick rescue ig) and they all died. I feel like they would have had a better chance at life without me with maybe the exception of Roll because he was born with a neurological issue. I tried, but clearly it wasn't enough and I'm very upset about this ):

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry to hear Rock passing :(
    It's amazing how a snake can escape through the smallest gap!

11. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

Thank you Michele... I knew there were gaps but I had no idea she could get through them! I sealed many of the gaps before she even moved into the tank but I definitely will be more careful. I was lucky to even find her today, because my apartment is a huge mess and she's such a tiny snake!

12. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad that you found her and she is ok! Do you think that she tried to eat Rock and then spit him back up because he was too large? Would make sense if Rock was wet!

13. annarawrr

annarawrr Elite Member

I'm pretty sure that's what happened. I couldn't bring myself to have a close look at Rock but it looked like his ribs had been squeezed and broken, which would have been what caused him to look thinner and longer as per my first post, and he definitely looked wet up until his hips. To be honest he just looked so broken and I couldn't distinguish face from neck from torso.

I'm really upset about losing him, but I checked Lola earlier and she seemed fine, no injuries that I could see. At the very least Lola is alright, it would have been double the pain to end up with two dead babies! I have learned not to take things for granted, that no matter how cute and small my snake may be, they're still predators and can and will kill if given the chance. I guess it's reminded me that even though they're born in captivity and fed f/t mice regularly and played with every day, it's nature over nurture and you always have to be careful with these animals.