This Disappears When Logged In

One of My Feeder Rats Had Babies

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by hollyk, Jan 4, 2012.

1. hollyk

hollyk New Member

one of my feeders had babies, not sure what to do. i'm not sure which of the 2 had them should i seperate them. how do i care for them? any help would be appreciated.

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Leave them alone that is the best thing right now, until she is done, I like to give them 24 hours. I have never had rats(banned here) but have bred mice for years. How many do you have in the cage? Multipul females will help raise the babies, keep them warm and groom them(males will help raise the young too, chances are she is pregnante again they go into post pardum estrous within 24 hours of giving birth). Some females will even lacatate and nurse them. If the rats trust you and you can handle them I would remove all the adults into a bin/cage with some distraction (food works), rub your hands in the bedding and then you can hold the pups(out of view from the adults). It's a good idea to check them daily, that way you can remove any that are dead, I like to get the runts out asap and they will be tamer. What size rats do you need too feed? If you need rat pups only take a few (2-4) away a day so Mom rat doesnt get swollen with milk. Good luck :)

Edit too add:
    You will want to boost protien right now, scrambled eggs, dry dog/cat food, milkbone dog treats, meal worms.

3. Duskeva

Duskeva Well-Known Member

Multiple moms may help raise babies, but more likely then not they end up stealing babies from each other. All the fighting leads to dead babies and possibly injured moms. I would wait until she was done birthing and then mover her to her own container so she can raise the bubs in peace.

I keep rats as pets and am part of a very large community of ratty parents/breeders.

4. ToriH

ToriH Elite Member

Rats are banned in your area? What caused that do you know?

5. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Alberta is a rat free province. Apperently it was to protect our crops from them. Black rats and Norway rats are banned, which of course are what the pet rats are bred from. I have heard that if you get a neutered rat and a permit you could keep it.

If you do want to seperate don't move the nest, move the other rats out. I would never move a Mom and babies of any animal, that will cause stress and may cause her too abandon her litter. Yes the risk of others stealing the babies is there, I allow my mice to breed in a colony and they do well, sometimes all the babies are in one house and sometimes they are in small groups all over. You should be able too tell who is nursing by looking at their bellies, but if you don't know who the Mom is leave all the girls in there.