This Disappears When Logged In

One Corn Snake Not Eating

Discussion in 'Corn Snakes' started by Spikes the name, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spikes the name

Spikes the name Elite Member

I have recently gotten 2 Tangerine Corns.
    Both ate 3 days after I got them with no problem.
    a week later only one ate a pinkie and it is going on two weeks now.
    still only the one is eating.
    I have never had this problem with corns before is this a reason to get worried yet?

I took him to the local Reptile breeder and he tried to force feed the snake but the snake just spat it right out.

Both snakes were the same size when i purchased them and now three weeks later there is quite a size difference.

How long can the corn go without eating?
    P.S
    I separate the snakes when feeding.

Thanks all

2. Spikes the name

Re: Corn Snake Not Eating

I have recently gotten 2 Tangerine Corns.
    Both ate 3 days after I got them with no problem.
    a week later only one ate a pinkie and it is going on two weeks now.
    still only the one is eating.
    I have never had this problem with corns before is this a reason to get worried yet?

I took him to the local Reptile breeder and he tried to force feed the snake but the snake just spat it right out.

Both snakes were the same size when i purchased them and now three weeks later there is quite a size difference.

How long can the corn go without eating?
    P.S
    I separate the snakes when feeding.

Thanks all

These snakes are housed together I got them as a pair from the reptile shop...
    I will separate them asap.
    Thanks

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Separating them is a good idea. As I mentioned when we chatted, it's very plausible that the smaller snake is stressed.

Setup a separate enclosure with the proper temps and leave the little guy alone for a few days. As I also suggested, then offer him a pinkie IN his enclosure and cover the tank again, leaving him isolated and alone for a couple hours.

If he doesn't take it, trash it, recover him, and wait a few more days and try again.

Once he is feeding, feed him 2 more times IN the enclosure, and then begin feeding him in a feeding container there on out.

For those wondering why I am suggesting an "enclosure" feeding, let me explain real quick. If this little guy is stressed, moving him around from one tank to the next and back again is going to just increase that stress. Once he is feeding, and is established at eating regularly, moving him to feed him wont be nearly as stressful and the short feedings in the enclosure will have no long term affects.

4. Spikes the name

Hi Rich
    Thanks for the reply.
    I just want to clear up something...
    you said:
    Neonates, which it sounds like you own, can not.
    (What are neonates??hatchlings?)

5. Spikes the name

I am going to separate them asap.
    When I want to Breed with these corns wont i have problems introducing them??

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

After one missed feeding it is not time to worry.
    Is it possible the the snake is going into shed? Most will not feed in this time. And since the snake has already fed for you once, you know tha he will eat!
    (some hatchlings just won't eat at all!)

Are you talking about force feeding or "tease feeding" where the prey is just put into the snake's mouth?
    I'm sorry, but to try to forcefeed a snake after one missed feeding is ridiculous! And I would seriously question the knowledge of anyone that would even suggest it. This is a procedure that is a last ditch effort to save a starving animal.
    And properly done the snake can't just "spit it out!"

7. Spikes the name

Well I usually feed on a Friday Last week was the first feeding he didn't feed and he shed the following day I introduced food to him again still he was not interested, this week was the second feeding missed so I was getting concerned and went to ask whether this was a problem.

He asked me to bring the snake in and looked if there was something visually wrong with the snake.

Yes the guy force fed him a very little pinkie about the same size as the snakes diameter.
    The snake kept the mouse down for five minutes and then regurgitated it.

The snake moves around the cage as if looking for food.

I have placed the food in the cage to see if it takes it and still not really interested.
    I have watched and the snake goes an smells the pinkie and after a while just moves on...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.