This Disappears When Logged In

Once the Eyes Go Gray

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Gracelikerain18, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gracelikerain18

Gracelikerain18 Elite Member

Once the snake's eyes go gray, how long until the rest of the body starts to shed? Mas' eyes have been gray (and getting more gray) for about 5 days now, but she isn't noticeably shedding yet. Yesterday her skin appeared to be getting dull. Is this normal?

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

If I remember correctly, the eyes turn blue and the body becomes "dull". Once the eyes clear up, the shed will begin.

3. Gracelikerain18

ah, okay, that would explain why today are eyes are looking clearer! :-D

4. David McConley

David McConley Elite Member

Don't be surprised if Mas takes a couple of days before the shed. It can take up to a week sometimes. Usually the normal time is 3-4 days after the eyes clear.

5. Maya

Maya Elite Member

It is completely fascinating, the belly goes pink, and belly goes white, the eyes go gray and the eyes get clear. The skin gets consistently duller. My observation matches David's 2-3 days after the eyes clear up. The moist hide works like a charm for the whole process.

6. Gracelikerain18

Yay! Mas had her first shed (in my care) and it was 100%! No retained eye caps, nothing. I am so proud. She is so gorgeous now! Shiny and soft as can be!! I tried feeding her, she killed it, but then had a lot of trouble finding the head. She wound up giving up. I have left her in the box with the carcass to see if she'll change her mind.

7. RunMickeyRun

RunMickeyRun Elite Member

For some reason Alice always goes butt first when eating, only realize his err and do it the right way. My boyfriend thinks Alice might be gay :D

8. Gracelikerain18

haha, that's a theory I guess!

9. Gracelikerain18

RMR- I love the name Alice "the python" Cooper! Awesome!

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I am glad to hear about your successful 1st shed. You must post some pics of her.;)

"She killed it" Does that mean you give live prey?

11. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

To answer Wildheart's question: Yes. Gracelikerain and I both feed live prey for now. She raises rats to feed to the pythons we purchased together.

12. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

You should try stunning the prey so it doesn't bite your snakes and potentially hurt or even kill them

13. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Rodents can, and do kill snakes. They have a survival instinct, and will fight for their life.

They are also smart. A rat, left in a cage with a snake, will not hesitate to attack the snake, and will even go directly for the head and neck.

Converting isn't always easy, but it's worth it.

Frozen rats are cheaper, when ordered in bulk (no more smelly live rats)

They also cannot transmit disease or injure a snake.

14. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

I am fully aware of all the risks involved feeding live prey.

We purchased the snakes about a month ago, and they were already being fed live. Up to this point, the snakes have been small enough that they were eating newborn (or rats that aren't capable of biting). But now the snakes are getting bigger, and of course eating larger rats, so we have been talking about alternative feeding methods. I can only speak for myself here, but I will continue with the live for now. I agree, feeding live is dangerous on many counts so I am looking at methods of stunning the prey, but despite many opinions, I am just not convinced to feed frozen at this point.

15. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

They have a mouth don't they? Anything with a mouth can bite.

The longer you wait, the harder the conversion will be to make. And the larger (and more dangerous) the prey will be.

16. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

They have eyes as well...but they aren't capable of seeing yet. ;)

17. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You don't have to be able to see to bite. Neither does a rodent.

18. Chris1974

Chris1974 Elite Member

Well, like I said, we were feeding them newborns. The newborns that we have been feeding them aren't capable of biting becuase they dont' have teeth yet. So, I would consider them safe at this point.

19. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I hope you're willing to bet your snakes health, and possibly their life on that.

They can't stay on rat pups forever either.

20. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Chris1974, you posted this in another thread..."Above all, I just don't want to have to deal with the messes, I guess. I mean- afterall, I am using this time to teach my 5 year old son about nature and that kinda stuff. He watches the feedings, and if I am whacking rats in a bag against a countertop, that would pretty much exclude him from the activity. lol I don't want him seeing that."

Wouldn't it teach him more about nature if he's taught the difference between wild and captive snakes? That in the wild snakes get KILLED by their prey and that is why you try to have captive eat f/t's? To me your teaching him it's ok to terrorize the prey and make it suffer as it dies. You don't want to "deal" with messes?? Does that mean you don't clean up the snakes "messes"??

Personally I think you should teach your son compassion for animals and whats compassionate about prey getting the life choked out of it slowly?? At least the f/t were killed quick and painlessly. And as for you not wanting your son to see you whacking rats against the counter, whats more humane, whacking on the counter for an instant death or being strangled to death slowly? Is that what your trying to teach him? that it's ok to make animals suffer as long as it's food for an animal you own?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.